Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Does it have RKE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Default Does it have RKE?

I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not.

I am going to pick up my 01 SS in a few hours. It's a sweet ride, but I'm sure all of you already know this. The dealer only has 2 keys for it, no key fobs. So I was going to buy some OEM keyless entry remotes, assuming they were just missing. Then I started reading more into, and read it was an optional feature on 01 SS models, but standard on 01 LS models. So now I am wondering if it even has the RKE option? How would I know for sure - other than buying a remote and testing it?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm going to say all the cars are set up for it, it's just whether or not you got the fobs. They cost a good penny from a dealership.

I guess if you really want to know you can ask, call a dealership with the VIN#, or get in, turn the car on, turn the radio off, hold the bottom **** button (the tuning ****, i always forget the what button is called) for 5-10 seconds and then use the < and > buttons and 1 and 2 buttons to go through the radio menu to see if FOB is listed :P

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM

I would push for the dealer to provide you with at least one fob. say something to him when you go pick it up. all other cars have fobs so this one should too. i think of it this way: if a used car comes in without a tire, lets say, (extreme example i know) the dealer wont try to sell it without a tire. they will put one on. i think it's their obligation to provide you with all the parts that came on the car originally.

i would think most cars around that year would have the fob standard, but i could be wrong. wouldn't hurt to at least check into it. good luck.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM

It has leather, cd, heated seats, moon roof, onstar, the mileage computer above the mirror, fully loaded it seems. That's what lead me to assume it had RKE, just no remote. I will have to check for that option on the radio when I pick it up in 3 hours.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 PM

I bought one off ebay for like 10 bucks and had a locksmith program it for me. Cost 17 bucks total

Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 AM

I would bet cash that your car is set up for keyless. Like thewhitescarlouknow said ebay is a good place to get one. Programming isn't too hard either. If your car comes with a manual the intructions are in it.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. eBay is where I was headed - I know the dealers charge an outrageous amount for the same 10 dollar fobs they sell on eBay.

I checked all the settings on the radio, the alarm and fob settings are all on there. I am assuming that's a sure sign that it has the RKE option? I also need to get a manual, but I managed to download one for now.

The fobs can be programmed through the radio, yes? Or do I need an existing fob to program a fob? I've read so much about them, I've confused myself.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:59 AM

Good Luck & Keep us updated
Click on Below link

Last edited by Space; 04-17-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have never programmed a FOB before. I know a few members have, hopefully they will chime in.

But I believe you should be able to do it yourself through the radio.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM

When you program your fob, you are basically getting the fob and the car to recognize each other. You do not need an existing fob to program another. When I bought my car there were no fobs. I bought a fob off of ebay that said it would work and programmed it. Programming is done through the radio and at a certain point during programming you hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the fob and the car and the fob sync. Works great!

Quick Reply: Does it have RKE?