Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Disable Fob Horn Without Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Default Disable Fob Horn Without Radio

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to disable the fob horn when you unlock and lock the locks with the fob. I don't have a factory radio anymore as when I hooked it up I didn't have a display anymore. So I was wondering if there was an alternate route? Thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM

you gotta put your stock radio in the trunk and hook it up

Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

I went to connect my stock radio back up and all I had was the Illumination on the buttons. I could press the eject on the cd and it would try, so It has power but I dont have a display or anything on the radio So I can't read anything. I don't want to get another one and have to pay to reprogram it.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM

you dont have to but you need to et some harnesses for it and stuff let me see if i can find the thread about it ill post it up here

Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 PM

== Answer ==there is a special harness kit for Monte carlos it relocates your factory radio to the trunk stupid but that's what ya gotta do. the part number is GM06B cost varys from $40-60 depending on where you buy itYou don't need to buy that module, 2001 Monte Carlo oil life reset is car on accs pump gas pedal 3 times, low tire light reset is car on accs lights on and off 4 times. you require a module from metra gmos-04 that will allow your door chrime an warning light chimes to work also on star if equipt.OR
Have a professional do it or if your up to it, you can DIY with a few mods. You will loose the radio features such as chimes and tire pressure reset etc. but, install the radio in the normal fashion into the dash. a little modification to the dash cover is sometimes necessary depending on the radio. Hook up the aftermarket radio to the GM color codes below. The ACC will not work with this type install and you must read all the way for this to work. Find a new spot in the fuse box that works off the key (a tester is needed) wire this new wire to the ACC wire of your radio. You MUST have an antenna adapter for an aftermarket radio. Reinstall the radio/dash/etc.
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
(There is sometimes two orange. Use the "Hot" one.
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
(The yellow wire will not work, run a new as previously mentioned)
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
(Use only if your new radio has this feature)
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue
After the install, Go to the trunk and locate the Gmos box in the trunk. (looks like a small aluminum amp) unplug the Large plug from the module (box) and notice its the same plug that was in you radio. Locate and cut the speaker wire colors above and also cut the same number of wire directly across from them on the other side of the plug. There should be two wires left in the plug when your done. Connect the wires as follows:
LF(+) Tan connects to Blue w/ white stripe
LF(-) Grey Connects to Green w/ Black stripe
RF(+) Light Green connects to Blue with black stripe
RF(-) Dark Green connects to Dark Green
LR(+) Brown connects to Tan**
LR(-) Yellow connects to White
RR(+) Dark Blue connects to red
RR (-) Light blue connects to Tan**
**There are two tan wires the same color in this group keep them beside their corresponding color where they were in the plug. If the rear speakers don't play then swap these two.
Wire nut and/or tape these and plug the plug back in the module (not that it will do anything now) and your radio is

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM

great info montesss you just answered many questions. thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member

Great info, But my main question was how to change the fog horn without a radio? My factory radio is broke. I stated this a couple times. I don't need to relocated my radio and have already but my radio is broke.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM

your **** outta luck

Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member

Great info, But my main question was how to change the fog horn without a radio? My factory radio is broke. I stated this a couple times. I don't need to relocated my radio and have already but my radio is broke.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member

I'm not sure why it doubled posted weird but that sucks. thanks

Quick Reply: Disable Fob Horn Without Radio