Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Dexcool goop problem, question on flushing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gtr25
Read into the green antifreeze coolant vs dexcool before as I noticed the breakdown and sludging as well. Notice of caution what I found was the green is used on different rad systems that are made out of different materials. Everything that came up when I searched said the green used instead of dexcool in an aluminum radiator the green Is way more reactive to the metal and will eat away the radiator. Id use the yellow universal type. I stay with the dexcool. Has it faults, but who does the rad flush at the required 5 year or mileage equivalent like gm recommends. hope you upgraded the elbows to the aluminum ones.
Yup, I got the aluminum Dorman ones, good upgrade that should last the life of the motor. I've been using Prestone green in my 1987 El Camino which has had an aluminum Camaro radiator for the last 20 years or so with no corrosion problems, so I'm not too worried, and will probably change it every 2 years or so anyway.
Thanks
Dave