Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dental and Resetting CEL light

Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Default Dental and Resetting CEL light

I have always compared CEL lights to toothaches, one bad tooth (car- part) can cause all kinds of issues to your body (vehicle). Most toothaches you can either fix either by a root canal or as friend and associate dentist in the Navy used to say, "slick" (extraction). Either way it needs taken care of before major issues occur. With that lame attempt to compare the two (), how does 1 reset the CEL light, so I can make sure I fixed my issues, and I don't need to put my car on penicillin.

Last edited by 2002 SS; 03-02-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Talk it to autozone (or similar parts store) and have them use an obd2 scanner to clear the code. If code stays away you fixed your problem

Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also I have sucessfully reset my CEL by disconnecting the battery on my truck. Your supposed to wait 15 to 20 minutes. I always remove my positive side, might work on our Monte's too.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

David, Snakeskin and I both have a Blue tooth scan tool. That along with an App. On your phone and it becomes a fully functional scan tool. I wish it had Tech II capabilities but GM is Greedy with their Stuff.
Anyway, I think it is good. It does complete scans, running or not, and gives you other info you wouldn't think of in a scanner.
Between the Bluetooth adapter and the App. I paid just under $20.00. I got the adapter on EBay and the App from Google play store. Once you have it you can check your car, clear codes any time you want!
I Love it. Dave got his first and I got Mine after getting his recommendation!

Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
David, Snakeskin and I both have a Blue tooth scan tool. That along with an App. On your phone and it becomes a fully functional scan tool. I wish it had Tech II capabilities but GM is Greedy with their Stuff.
Anyway, I think it is good. It does complete scans, running or not, and gives you other info you wouldn't think of in a scanner.
Between the Bluetooth adapter and the App. I paid just under $20.00. I got the adapter on EBay and the App from Google play store. Once you have it you can check your car, clear codes any time you want!
No freaking way!Can i use my Gateway laptop ??

**just bought one online, thanks for that info!

Last edited by 2002 SS; 03-02-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is very cool JC...... Would you have a link...... Does it work on the iPhone?...Thanks,

Old 03-02-2014, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member

My adapter came with a disc that can be loaded onto your computer or lap top. If it is Bluetooth comparable Yes you can use it that way. For your desktop you may have to get a Bluetooth adapter but it will work on that too.

I like it cause my headlight switch is bad So I get no dash lights. With this OBDII adaptor I used one of the blank screens and put a Speedometer and Tachometer gauge on it So now I can see how fast me and my engine are going. It's Great!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

Damien, I heard there were some problems with the IPhone. I don't know what they are or if they had fixed them. But you can connect you Bluetooth ready laptop to it with the disc. If your laptop isn't Bluetooth ready you can get a USB Bluetooth adapter.
Now when I say it has problems with the iPhone, That's the adapter I have, the Torque II.
If you go to EBay or Amazon and put Bluetooth OBDII in the search engine you will get a lot of adapters for a wide range of prices.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

JC I have the torque pro too. I was just telling him how to reset it now haha.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Also I have sucessfully reset my CEL by disconnecting the battery on my truck. Your supposed to wait 15 to 20 minutes. I always remove my positive side, might work on our Monte's too.
+1 this is the easiest and cheapest way, as the CEL light will go out, as long as it isn't something throwing the code the minute you start the car (which happened to me with the MAF sensor) but it will stay out until the computer runs it's cycle, which can take a while, go for a good long drive, maintain a certain speed for a period of time, run your accessories like the air and defroster and it will run it's course, there is a write up on exactly everything to do to make your computer cycle, just do a google search and you will come up with it.

Also you can pick up a fairly cheap obdII reader at Wal Mart or your local parts store, I bought one a Canadian Tire here for 100 bucks that reads and resets the codes, I figured it costs 50 to go to a garage and have them tell you (none of the parts stores in my area will check your codes for free) so if I use it twice it's paid for itself, not to mention a lot of my friends have chevy's so it will pay for itself regardless. I am not familiar with the phone apps for the readers but have heard great things about them as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dental and Resetting CEL light