Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Default RE: daytime running lights

ORIGINAL: montejass

I did it. It's actually a mod that I got from installing wig-wags...got the info from http://www.galls.com and go to wiring diagrams and look up item# FS038. The "two orange wires" are simply connected to a relay (switch) that turns off the DRL's when the wig-wags are turned on. So if you're like me and just plain old don't like DRL's, don't hook up a switch and leave the wire cut. My Monte is a 2002 and it worked great. Good luck! The toughest part of the job was getting the electical center out...and it really wasn't all that tough.

Nice find/mod..... I think we found our electrical guru....

LOL, that's exactly what I thought when I first read it,hehe.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:10 PM

Well now for the bad news folks...I just opened the hood on the monte to make sure it was the car and not the truck I left disconnected...it was the truck. On the Monte Carlo I actually hooked up the "orange wires" with the wig wags so the DRL's act normally during the time the wig wags are off....BUT I disconnected them and just as I thought, it works, the only kicker is, it triggers the "Service Vehicle Soon" light (which does turn back off when you re connect the wire, by the way). It has no other effect on the car...I spent an hour testing EVERYTHING and it all works...so if the light is something that bugs you, don't do it...if you don't mind...go for it. I tried grounding the bare ends of wire, that turned them back on (go figure, it's ground side switched) and I fed them +12v and that triggered the "highbeam out" light....

I found for the grand am's there's a wire that needs to be snipped off of the BCM (under the glove compartment) and grounded, so I'll see if I can figure out if there's one that'll work like that for the monte. I WILL find a solution to make the lights go out without any of the idiot lights coming on and I'll be sure to post it back here.

If anybody wants to know how to disconnect the DRL's in a 99 Silverado I have the fool proof way to do that.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:23 PM

ok here ya go how to do it

you have to bypass the relay under the hood for the dlrs. this cuts the rely out but leaves it in place as it needs this in place to make the system work

then you have to go to the bcm and take out the pink wire i belive it was and it will turn them off .

to keep it triggering with out hitting the idiot light you have to also take out the other triger that is in the head light switch wires as it will pick up signal and take it back to the rely.

I spent almost 8 hours figureing all of this out to try it It dose work but when you do all of this to the car the car will still throw a code and say your high beams are out and then will turn the low beams on full time to make them take the place.

I have even thought of finding those damed things and putting a light on them under the hood someplace so it will act normal but not trigger the high beams but doing this will not allow them to work corectly.

one thing i can tell you is beverry cvarefull with the plug under there they are really cheap and with a test light probing them it will cuse you to lose your pax side head light and you will have to chase that down to .

Please if you can find a simpel solotion let me know i dont want to have to cut four diffrent wires or rewire the whole car to get one freken light bulb out.

But they defently made this a tuff thing to do and for someone that is not good at reading a diogram i would not attempt it.

Then one thing i have not tried is the bcm by its self under the drivers side dash. the grand ams had a switch they could put in that would cut this wire and allow you to turn them on or off. if you could do this it would be great. Some states will requier them to be on durring a inspection if the car is suposed to ahve them on it.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM

why does everyone hate the DRL's>

Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 AM

Why? Check out http://www.lightsout.org/story.html and that'll give you the "story." One of the biggest kickers (for me personally) is that I like to have control over the things in my car. It's GREAT if they make things go on and off automatically, but I'd still like the option of turning the automatic features off. Automatic headlights? Great! BUT when I pull into a parking lot and it's 0º F outside and I'm waiting outside to pick someone up from whatever function, and I want the car to run for heat, I like to turn the things off and even just kick on the parking lights...or no lights at all....it's stupid when I want to do that, I have to turn the car off, set the parking break (that I NEVER use...and God only knows if the parking break is going to release when I pull the lever) and then turn the vehicle back on... Driving during the day bugs me...some cars more than others because there's some models that do have brighter DRL's than others, but when you're getting blinded by someone in your rear view just by their DRL's, it really sucks. Also when you're driving down the road, and an oncoming car has them on, they are distracting...your attention gets turned to the vehicle with the bright lights, rather than the little kid on the other side of the street that's chasing a ball into traffic....SMUCK!

That's why.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:40 AM

ORIGINAL: nj85z28

why does everyone hate the DRL's>
DRL's became an issue for me when I had my Taurus, it's DRL's were the low beams at half power. So at first it was a cosmetic thing, dingy light output. Then once I hooked up my system it became magnified because I couldn't turn them off while I was bumpin' during the day so I had disco lights in the daytime[:@]

On the Monte, I don't really mind them, plus I'm gonna get yellow high beams so it'll look sweet once those are in, but I'd still like to be able to turn them on/off at will.

So not being able to turn them on/off myself, and the false pretense under which they are advertised as a "safety feature" irks me to high heaven. There is not a single study that has been done that can show any solid proof that DRL's provide a safety advantage, yet that is how they are marketed. Just allow me to turn them off when I want and I won't have an issue with them, is that too much to ask?

Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 AM

i will add on to what 04 has stated here. Also im in th emilitary and having those things on could be somethign that can get you in to a position of having a M-16 leveld on you . not a fun thing to have happen. as the sing says DIM YOUR LIGHTS!!! I can't . I have no controll of my lights at all other then they are on or off, If i go to my park lights and sit for to long the computer sees this and then turns on the head lights anyway, what good is it to have a damed switch there if it is worthless to begin with? At least with the older models you could click the E brake on some and they would go out with out having to turn the car off. Also i go to alot of car shows and it is a curtisy to drop to park lights when the night comes so your not blinding everyone around you or when i come home at night i back my car in im not blinding the folks that live acrossed from me as my drive way is aimed perfectly in to thier bed room.

Also the other one i hate is that certin models they have a over ride for them ours dont why?
why do i not have a choice when i pay 30,000 for a car to do soem thign so simpel as to turn off my damed head lights? Did i not pay for the right to own and controll this car? If i would have knowen when i bought the car i could have had them deprogramed i would have done it before i singed anything to buy it. Another thing i dont even live in the steas and i dont have any laws here that say you must look stupid as hell being one of 15 cars on the rod runnign your head lights 24/7 So i would liek my car to not be one of the ones doing it. I hate it you go anywhere and someone starts to flash thier lights at you the entier time to let you know they are on. then you cant do anything to turn them off it just is almost as if they throw it in your face so it is not somethign that you can just forget about.
Also I have seen to many cars that runn them all the time now all this has done is make it harder to see the motor cycels out there that by law in most states have to run a front head light durring all times. so now the cars do it to ok so we have just taken some of the safty from the poor guy who was ran over on his scooter do to someone not seeing a head light becuse they have see it so offten it becomes a non issue for them.

there are alot of reasons out there why they are not a "SAFETY " Device like advertised. I personnally think they are more of a safty hazzard .

So that owuld be why i hate them , Im with 04ls give me a switch so i can turn them off and it would be a non issue, or even a wire that i can pull that if i dont want them i can disconnect it. Hell ill pay the extra 20.00 a year in insurance for not having them it is worth it to me to have controll over them.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:37 PM

Hey everybody...found this link...makes sense, seems similar to the DRL disable on the grand am I did not too long ago.

http://www.geocities.com/i_carry_a_glock/DRL.pdf

Old 10-06-2006, 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Magna131

That would be very cool! There's an actual association of people that don't like them....or at least want control over them (same with my automatic headlamps...I was able to find a mod to put those on a switch in my silverado) The website is http://www.lightsout.org it's got lots of mods to get rid of DRL's or auto headlamps on several vehicles. Now for my next project...trying to find the mod to keep my low beams on with my high beams!

Hello everyone new guy here.
There is also another way to disable the DRL on a Silverado truck.
The way that i have done it before, is pushing the little button right next to the light suitch (?) about 3 or 4 times, then a chime will be heard and bingo the DRL are gone.

BTW. they'll stay off untill you re-do the procedure again.

"Happy hunting Buck"
Silver Streak
04 Monte 3.4L LT
03 Impala 3.4L LS

Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM

I want my DRL's gone too. I can't stand them.

Quick Reply: daytime running lights