Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dash Lights Going Dim

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 07:41 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would buy a new cluster but I really don’t think that will solve the problem since the radio lights are dim also. I really don’t like this car. I think I’ll just drive it until it quits, every time I try to improve it I just spend money without results.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:51 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default All dash lights

I started this thread about my dash lights not working.

I recently realized that none of my back ground lights such as radio controls on steering wheel, up and down window controls, door locks none of these things light up either.

This is an intermittent problem, all of these lights work sometimes.

This car has a rebuilt title also.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:03 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dj_bosse
Getting the cluster out isn't difficult at all. Just have to take the front piece of the dash off, and there are four small screws in the corners of the cluster. And then an electrical connector on the back that's pretty easy to undo. The problem with switching a new cluster in is that you'll likely have to get your mileage programmed in (the mileage is typically stored in the cluster, not in the car's computer).

If you have any experience with a soldering iron, you can always try opening your cluster up to see if you can repair it (assuming the resistors are your problem). If you're open to buying a new cluster, then worst case scenario it's a bit of a learning experience for you should you not be able to get it back together. The only difficult part is putting the needles back on. When I did it, I wasn't smart enough to mark where the needles were in their "zero" position. So I had to manually re-calibrate based on speed sensor data and RPMs using a scan tool. Not impossible to do, but frustrating when you realize you're off by 2 mph.
I started this thread and have tried everything suggested on here and I just realized that all of my back ground lights on the radio controls on the steering wheel, door locks controls, windows up and down controls none of them work.

All these lights work off and on.

Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mike Palatka; 08-20-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:24 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Problem Fixed

The solution was a faulty headlight switch. The headlight switch controls much more than just the headlights in these cars.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me with this issue.

Mike

Old 01-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Default Bad Solder Instrument Cluster

GM has a history of weak/bad solder joints in their instrument clusters. The cluster has to removed and the leds/bulbs/connections re-soldered.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:16 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I have already fixed this problem. The headlight switch was bad and the switch controls the dash lights also. The problem was not anything to do with the cluster.