Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

dangerous monte carlo PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Default dangerous monte carlo PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a 99 Monte carlo that is dangerous monte to drive. This is my wifes car and I need to make it safe. This problem started out less severe but I could tell there was soothing wrong with these steering. Upon further investigation I found and replaced several junk parts in the front. Inner and outer tie rods on booth sides, wheel bearings on booth sides, ball joints on booth sides, new rotary,brakes and one new caliper on the driver side. Also four new tires. I know that it despe.rately needs an alignment because thetires are only two months old and already bald on the outsides but I think the problem started is much more than that. The car jerks off the road to the left or the right for no reason. Its as if the steering comes and goes. If driving straight or cornering I can turn the wheel with out the car responding then suddenly it grabs and turns aggressivel that direction. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 AM

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

Sorry to read about your problems...I am not a expert tech, but it sounds like you have a bad steering gear ( box/shaft) (?)

Please check back on your post problem(s) & hopefully one of our expert tech member(s) will be able to help or give you some suggestions to check out...

Below is one link on the subject
http://www.carsteering.com/steeringp..._Gear_Box.html

Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Take the vehicle to a shop and have an alignment done. It sounds like when the tie rods were replaced they weren't adjusted correctly. Any time you replace front end components an alignment is mandatory in order to retain proper steering and drivability.

BTW - Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM

rack and pinion will cause it too

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Default re: dangerous monte carlo

I realize I need an alignment because I replaced the tie rods the tires are proof of that and I have an appointment saterday to get one done and two new tires but know there is something more than that going on and I want to fix it before I get it aligned. The car is almost uncontrollable. My wife had to aband it the other day on her way to work in fear. I picked it up and drove it home almost killing myself. I was also suspected steering shaft/box or rack but I was hoping. Simone could help me pinpoint the problem. I was told today by a coworker that it might hav steering assistance. From what I gather he is saying Teresa is an electricaly controlled valve that allows. More powesteering at lower speeds and less at higher speed and if that goes bad it could cause this. Is there any validity towhat he is saying? Or any other thoughts on my problem? Again thanks to all of you taking the time to help any information is greatly appreciated

Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Sorry if this is hard to read I haunt figured out how to turn the spell check off on my phone

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you just need to take it somewhere and just pay them to diagnose the problem. If you are capable of fixing it yourself then do so. Better get on it. sounds bad.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

As previously mentioned there are other things that can cause erratic steering. A bad steering box, rack, control arm bushings, etc. The only way you're going to pinpoint the problem is to take the vehicle to a shop. Call them and make an appointment for a front end inspection and alignment. If they are a reputable shop and they find a problem they will notify you of it and pass on doing an alignment until the problem is resolved.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

I would say the steering box or you rack

Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM

I will inspect the rack when I get home I should be able to see if there's a problem with it do you have any suggestions on inspecting the steering box?

Quick Reply: dangerous monte carlo PLEASE HELP!!!!