Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Default CV Joints

I think I may be changing the CV Joints, CV axle assembly..etc.. ,whatever it is that you call it in your particular group of friends or family, on my 99' Z34. I was curious if anyone else had done this and knew of any particular hang-ups or tips.
For instance I changed my water pump 3 or 4 weeks ago and it took a few spats of rage to realize that I had to remove the power-steering pump to get the final bolt out of my water pump to remove it.

Just trying to think ahead and avoid any unnecessarily busted knuckles.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by DerEin
I think I may be changing the CV Joints, CV axle assembly..etc.. ,whatever it is that you call it in your particular group of friends or family, on my 99' Z34. I was curious if anyone else had done this and knew of any particular hang-ups or tips.
For instance I changed my water pump 3 or 4 weeks ago and it took a few spats of rage to realize that I had to remove the power-steering pump to get the final bolt out of my water pump to remove it.

Just trying to think ahead and avoid any unnecessarily busted knuckles.
Why do you think you have to change the CV Joints, CV axle assembly and others? Has anyone advised you to do so? Replacing those parts is not easy you might need the assistance of a mechanic. but if you're a DIY type of person, it may not be a daunting task for you

Last edited by oliver; 08-06-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's easyyyy

Break loose the axle nut (you're gonna need a big socket and a breaker bar)

Take off the rim

Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the wheel bearing/hub in place, remove wheel bearing/hub

Get a pry bar and stick it between the axle and transmission and pry it out (check the tripot that's sticking in the transmission, sometimes there's a groove on it you can use with your pry bar to pull it out)

Work it out of the transmission, wiggle back and forth, and pull. Replacement is opposite of this, just make sure there's a snap ring on the end of the axle where it goes into the transmission, unless yours is in the transmission (which it might be)

Good luck