Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   cruise control (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/cruise-control-12839/)

heavy chevy 03-30-2009 04:06 PM

cruise control

cruise control turns on but wont engage when i press set. checked the fuses and they seem ok. any ideas???? sorry if i posted in the wrong section and yes i used the search function before creating this post.

AwesomeSS 03-30-2009 09:35 PM

Could there be a vacuum leak somewhere? Check the hoses under the hood, there might be a tear or hole somewhere. I am not sure which hose it would be though, sorry.

Enzo354 03-30-2009 10:32 PM

Check the wires to the pcm.

heavy chevy 03-31-2009 10:59 AM

thanks enzo. what type of test can i do for vacuum leaks and pcm? and wheres the pcm located at?

ChibiBlackSheep 03-31-2009 12:01 PM

PCM is in your air-box.

Just out of curiosity, you are trying to set the cruise control at what speed? It doesn't work at low speeds.

I know it's a stupid question, but some people think they have broken cruise control at 30 MPH

heavy chevy 03-31-2009 12:46 PM

i try to set it around 65-70. i hope its an easy fix. if i need a whole new mmodule i might say forget it since my warranty is out.

fastone110 10-25-2009 05:30 PM

same problem. first post. heya. The cruise light comes on when the button is pushed. The vehicle doesn't maintain the speed set. A few questions for ya....

Is the Cruise Control ran on a vacuum?

Is there a diagram of the Vacuum system?

Where is a good place to start to figure this problem out?

I wanted to try to figure it out before I have to take it to the dealer.

03 ss with 102k miles on it.

thanx

nelskin406 09-24-2010 10:56 PM

I have the same exact issue, I replaced the underhood cruise assembly and the steering wheel control switch with no luck, it is the only symptom I have wrong with the car. I have heard it has something to do with the bcm needing to be reflashed or replaced. but I havent got alot of advice yet

lucian*91 09-25-2010 03:29 AM

nelskin already checked he third brake light on his, but if it is inop, your cruise will not work. u other two should check the third brake light to rule out that option first

drjesus616 09-25-2010 04:54 AM

my old car was very finicky about actually setting the speed, the cruise control light would come on but would start decelerating very soon after letting go of the gas ... but she was old and a ford, :rolleyes:

however i have noticed that the monte doesnt always set the cruise if youve already let off the gas, you know, you were going too fast already and were letting the car coast down to the speed youve wanted to set,

i would start with the easist things you can think to do, like allowing the car to reset itself, by disconnecting the battery for a long enough time to clear everything, youll lose your mpg history, and trip records but big deal, try swapping out fuses anyways, ive had ones blow and look close enough to not be able to tell on a precursory glance

and the better shops, check around, will do a free diagnostic on your car, to see if they can pull a code that perhaps is not triggering a check engine light or actually screwing with the car