Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Ok, just heard from the garage and the fuel pump is dead. They are getting a fuel pump sent in from out of state as its the only GM one they can find, and do not want to use aftermarket as they claim they have had too many issues. They are overnighting the pump.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I almost said that yesterday considering you said it would crank and turn over with starting fluid, but all the "U" and "B" codes through me off. Those codes must have thrown and stored because it was stored and had a dead battery for a long time.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
I almost said that yesterday considering you said it would crank and turn over with starting fluid, but all the "U" and "B" codes through me off. Those codes must have thrown and stored because it was stored and had a dead battery for a long time.
I know what your saying, I kept looking things up and it all seemed to point to BCM/security. My cousin did say he could not hear the pump prime but we left it to security. It wasn't until I search fuel pump did I see the similar symptoms. Well at least we are at a starting point. Once they get that in and if the car runs they will get the oil leak and key/ignition recalls done, and I'm just going to have them change all the other fluids, I think I will ask them to drop the pan for the trans, as I'm guessing, that could be kinda nasty. Any thoughts or other suggestions? S/C oil will be included too

Old 05-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Ok, the car will be done tomorrow. New fuel pump, new wiper transmission, oil change, new tires, new rotors, coolant flush, trans flush, PS.... boy what a spruce up,this was. Tech said car runs really good, might have a little bad gas in it still but its mixed with new stuff we put in before we took it to the garage. I'll throw some fuel injector cleaner in and get some fresh 93 oct running through and we should be in business.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:49 AM
Default Back home

Well here she is....too bad it's a grey rainy day, runs like a champ, just need some detail love, inside and out and it'll be damn near new. Thank you all for your input/advice with my questions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0129.JPG (3.98 MB, 10 views)
Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a beautiful ride you have there Joe. Thanks for saving her!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Super to see everything you had done to your Monte. All good stuff that takes some big money at times, but like PlumBob says "Thanks for saving it, you do have yourself a very nice Monte Carlo SS now. Money well spent bud!!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks guys, I've got my work cut out for me detail wise, I just invested in a bunch of product and a polisher. I think I'm in trouble with the front bumper, looks like the lack of waxing has caused the clear coat to breakdown and oxidize, to the point it's got a rough feel to it and has the white film around the area.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by joekai
Thanks guys, I've got my work cut out for me detail wise, I just invested in a bunch of product and a polisher. I think I'm in trouble with the front bumper, looks like the lack of waxing has caused the clear coat to breakdown and oxidize, to the point it's got a rough feel to it and has the white film around the area.
You have that issue going on with the clear coat eh. I have seen some cars that looked crappy actually not turn out to bad when they were worked over. Wash, Clay bar everything, since you have the polisher, use a polish (different levels of abrasiveness to remove the oxidation) seal and then wax it. I bet the front bumper will look pretty sharp from 5 feet away.

Sweet you are up to the challenge of restoring your Monte to its former glory.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
You have that issue going on with the clear coat eh. I have seen some cars that looked crappy actually not turn out to bad when they were worked over. Wash, Clay bar everything, since you have the polisher, use a polish (different levels of abrasiveness to remove the oxidation) seal and then wax it. I bet the front bumper will look pretty sharp from 5 feet away.

Sweet you are up to the challenge of restoring your Monte to its former glory.
Yeah I do, it's just in front of the headlights though so not a lot, let's hope it works out , I need to do the headlights as well, so I got 5 different polishes coming light to heavy, I been going back and forth about getting it all for my truck (lots of pinstriping from off roading :] ) so this helped me make the decision, it's just faded from sitting in all conditions for 6 years, so it should need to much cutting.

I need to figure out my sunroof as well, tried to open it but seems like it might be stuck from sitting. Not a big deal at the moment.