Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

clunking sound coming from the front end...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Default RE: clunking sound coming from the front end...

very good man im glad you got it fixed

i was so happy that noise was gone on mine
its so nice knowing people that know what the are talking about ..and help others...i almost spent 500 bucks to get a new steering wheel collum ..
and then i saw this add and only spent 8 bucks and it fix it

Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Mine makes a clunking sound from the front end also, I'm not real familiar with the ISS. Where do I need to apply the grease?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: shmedley

My 2006 3LT has had a mild clunking sound coming from it lately, seems to be more prominent when turning left. Past couple of days I can feel it through the steering wheel, so sitting in my driveway I was wiggling the steering wheel with the car running and it clunks when I wiggle it back and forth. I checked both tie rods, they seem to be tight, I really reefed on them hard and no movement. Anyone know what this could be?
I have the EXACT same problem.

Dropped her off at Goodwrench today.

They are going to replace the entire "steering rack."

I believe this is the same thing as the "ISS."

This will be the second time in 1 year.
I got the car back and they replaced the rack, no more clunk when wiggling the wheel.

I still have the clunk when I turn hard right.

Where is it that this grease should be applied?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...ic&t=10805
right here it shows a pic...

Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 AM

Great! Thanks!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM

My 04had thesame problem when my car was a year old. They replaced the steering shaft. It has now started to do it again 2 1/2 yrs later!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
ww

The intermediate steering shaft has always been a problem forChevrolet.Soon Im going to do what my buddy did to his 2002 SS. He drilled a hole in the outer shaft ,tapped it and put in a zurk fitting, now all he has to do is grab a grease gun an fill her up...WW

Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM

what grease should i buy. im getting the same thing. 04 with 55000.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM

My 06 with 45,000 Also has this clunk...

How can I be sure it is the ISS or not? Last time I had a clunk, it was luckily just a tie rod.

Jeff

Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: emt1134

When you are stationary, it is normal to feel that clunking when you move the steering wheel side to side. When the tires aren't rolling, the steering components are working against all of that force. What you are hearing and feeling is probably a result of the little bit of freeplay within the system,which you don't feel under normal conditions. As for the clunking while driving, GM cars are known for intermediate shaft problems. It is noticeable under light acceleration, braking, turning during low-speed maneuvers. You are not alone my friend. As for a permanent fix, there isn't one. But they are working on it. All you can really do is grease up the one you now have. They do have a replacement shaft, which is a little different in design and isn't greased. Either way, what I find works really well is some type of high quality spray lubricant. WD-40 works good for me. Just pull back the boot and spray away at different angles (just remember to put a rag or something down there to catch the drips). This seems to do the trick and lasts for weeks when I do it. The clunking is caused by the fact that the shaft actually extends and collapses as you are driving, and you can imagine the difficulty of this task with one pipe inside another and no lubrication in-between.
I've sat in 50 different cars since your post and it is not normal for the steering to clunk when sitting still.

The replacement of the ISS and/or the steering rack have fixed my problems for now.

Quick Reply: clunking sound coming from the front end...