Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clunking once again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Unhappy Clunking once again...

Hey guys just thought I'd give you some background on the car first. I own a 02 Monte Carlo with 119000 miles on her. Last week she was clunking when I put her in reverse instantly thought of the motor mounts. Sure enough the two front motor mounts where bad, a simple repair or so I thought. Now today after work I put it in drive and hear two noticeable clunks. Well I start driving and hear nothing. So I pull into my apartment complex and do what I did the last time shift from Park and slowly through the gears and once again she's clunking into reverse. I have yet to check the front mounts again due to it raining and I'm exhausted but I would assume it isn't the front mounts. Any suggestions.

Also, I seem to be losing some power between 30-60 mph. The rpm's fluctuate quite a bit if I'm just trying to maintain speed even when I'm trying to slightly accelerate the rpm's don't climb. Any suggestions with that as well? I've heard of the TTC engaging and disengaging etc. But I'm just trying to be sure. Thanks guys!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you lower motor mount and trans mounts could be blown and probably are at those miles... those are under the motor and engine just on the inside of the tires basically, if they're busted you'll see them leaking fluid.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 AM

Awesome thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow morning right before I have to go to college. Would I be risking any major damage if I were to drive on it. I am a delivery driver and it's basically driving 25-35 mph and I won't be able to get it looked at until next week.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Alright just a bit of an update...

I called my mechanic to tell him what was going on and he said that he checked the lower mount and said there was no play in it what so ever, but there could be a slight possibility that it did go. I'm going to check the wishbone mounts in front of the motor shortly to see if those are the problems. I did replace both of them last week and can't understand why they would be causing problems already but I've heard of weirder things happening with this specific year of Montes. My mechanic flat out told me that it would be ok to drive it as long as there's no hard acceleration etc.