Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Default Check Engine Light On

Ok, so I was driving along about a week ago and the check engine light came on. . .Went to have it checked out and by the time I got there it went off. Well Iknew it'd still be on there so I had the guy check itand it threw the code P1404 on Autozone's reader. . . It said it was "Manufacturer Controlled Auxillary Emissions Control" . . .Can someone help me out with this code and why my car might have set off the light? I went to the dealership and the guy said it could be a hundred things, but that told me nothing, and he wanted to charge me 80 bucks just to look at it. I think thats a little much just to figure it out so I thought maybe some of you could help me. . .thanks.

MonteRiderLS

Old 02-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Default RE: Check Engine Light On

what year is your monte?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:21 PM

i had a p1404 in my 2000ls, cleared it once, cameback on same code, put an egr in it, hasnt been on since.

P1404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Closed Position Performance
i dont recall it being that hard to install, and i dont think the part was too rediculously priced

Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

clean the egr valve and puta new gasket on...get the one with the screen in it...part # from standard or blue streak (www.smpcorp.com) is VG57
we sell a ton of these for gm's its a very common problem and that little screen helps a lot...keeps them clean longer

Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM

when you say it is a common problem about how often would you say it happens?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Call me dumb. . .but where is the EGR valve?

Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 AM

hmmm its maybe 4-5 inches back from the throttle body, and a couple inches to the passenger side.
i think its also near to or under where your trans. dipstick handle can be found. might also help to find a pic. of just an egr for your car to know what youre lookin at exactly.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

the only reason i say its common is that this gasket fits every single gm, and its a problem they have had for years, they put a regular gasket without the screen on it and you'll have the same problem in another year or 2, but if you go with the one with the screen on it you should be ok for quiete a while

and also i sell probably 1 of these gaskets a week, and thats only to 1 customer...plus all the other ones i sell over the counter...some mech's dont care about it and just use a stock one...but this one really is a problem solver gasket

Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Hey wizz,how much do you charge for one of those? I might buy one from you. I've done business with you before with the license plate cover so I think we're ok there. But my check engine light coming on and off is driving me nuts. . .let me know how much you want for one and I might buy it from ya.

MonteriderLS

Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 PM

had the light issue. then the car would not shift into 4th gear. about 2 weeks later

is the EGR the reason

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light On