Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Default Check Engine

Good day all yes this is my first post. Any way here goes. I have an 02 SS that I just replaced the engine on. I bought it from a junk yard but it had a pretty good warranty. So the guy puts it in and the check engine light is on. The code said it was a cam sensor so he replaced both of those and its still on. I have warranty on the engine but I dont want to pay again to have it taken out and replaced. I was told it could be a number of problems from a timing chain, ECM, also something about a magnet thats in the cam sensor. My mechanic wants me to get another one which means i would have to pay him another $500 to put it. Any input of what could be the problem. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Default RE: Check Engine

Hi Travis and Welcome to the MCF
What year and how many miles on the engine that was installed ?
Is it a running engine and how is it running ?
Have you reflashed your computer ?
Is it just the light that is staying on, or is the engine
not running or running poorly ?
Please post as much information about you problem
as you can and hopefully one of our members
can make suggestions for repairs.
Wish you good luck and thanks for your service
to our country.
Space

Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM

The engine came out of an 01 impala and it had about 80,000 miles on it. It runs ok except when its started up it starts to idle funny then sometimes it has a hesitation. A couple times it cut off on me at the red light. I dont know what you mean about reflashing the computer. The code on the scanner says its a cam sensor but he replaced both of those.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM

I know how to solve one problem....get a new mechanic. lol. No but seriously, if he didn't clear the code from the computer then even after he replaced the sensors it will still read as a sensor. I would say probably do spark plugs/wires if they are old and oxygen sensors.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Well your right I did get a new mechanic lol. He cleared the codes and they came back so he said he is going to put a new timing chain kit whatever the hell that is.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 AM

Hi Travis
Wish you good luck on solving your engineproblems
Click below to read what a timing chain or belt does

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Timing chain kit may help. Hopefully it solves your problem buddy. I hope that you enjoy many miles on your Monte and don't be a stranger here. Keep us updated.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 AM

Ok Timing belt kit did help runs much better now. Now the code is saying the o2 sensor needs to be changed. What would cause that to go bad and is it something that needs to addressed urgently. I wanted to wait a week or so before getting it replaced. It feels good to be at a red light and not have to put the car in nuetral and tap the gas.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Hi Travis, Good to read that you Monte Carlo is running better
Oxygen sensors eventually burn themselves out due to the heat of the exhaust system. Below are some links for prices on Sensors to give[/align]you some idea of cost. Good Luck from `Space[/align]Chevy Monte Carlo Oxygen Sensor | Free Shipping | 1970 - 200...
1970-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Replacement Oxygen Sensor ..... 2004-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. 2004-2004: 6Cyl 3.8L "Gas, FI, VIN "K" SS ...
www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/oxygen_sen... - 296k - Similar pages
Chevrolet Monte Carlo Ss Automotive Parts at BizRate - Shop ...
2000-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Oxygen Sensor ยท 2000-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo... Chevrolet Monte Carlo oxygen sensor manufactured by for 2000-2003 ...
www.bizrate.com/automotiveparts/products__keywor... - 228k - Similar pages
[/align]

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 AM

[align=center]Hi Travis,[/align][align=center]I would ask your mechanic about the below product.[/align][align=center]I think it does a super job of internal cleaning.[/align][align=center]Check it out[/align][ul][*][align=center]Cleans fuel injectors [/align][*][align=center]Cleans carburetor jets [/align][*][align=center]Cleans carbon [/align][*][align=center]Stabilizes fuels [/align][*][align=center]Upper cylinder lube [/align][*][align=center]Removes moisture in fuel [/align][*][align=center]De-icer
Frees sticky lifters
Frees sticky rings
Removes moisture in oil
Cleans P.C.V. systems
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Oxygen sensor safe [/align][/ul]

click on below link to read more
[align=center]http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]______________________________________[/align][align=center]Bonus Video[/align][align=center]Click on below[/align][align=center]Sea Foam Usage Video
Sea Foam Usage Video. Details. Comments. More from user. Sea Foam Usage Video - 14 min - Feb 22, 2006 Sea Foam - www.dfadist.com. () Rate: ...
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=618729086572622... - 10k - Similar pages [/align]

Quick Reply: Check Engine