Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Changing spark plugs on the 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Changing spark plugs on the 3.8

Not sure if this is in the right category, but here goes. Is it necessary to tilt the motor ('02 3.8) to get to the back spark plugs or is there a way to do it without tilting? We have the Haynes manual and it says something about tilting and hubby's not sure he wants to get into all that. I have no idea how many miles are on those plugsso I'd like to change them. And brand?

Also getting ready for my first oil change (bought used from dealer, it was changed when I got it - 3k sure came around fast, LOL). Any suggestions as to what brand filter to use? I've always used Fram but when I was told they are now crap, I'd rather not use them. I think I'm going to use Castrol GTX oil.

THANKS

Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Spark Plugs ?

i learned a cool trick for fwd car to tilt the motor a little bit sit in the car and have one of your stronger buddys give the car a good push and when it reaches the farthest point forward push down the e=brake and it will tilt the motor forward for you... oh yeh it has to be in park....

Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM

You dont have to tilt the motor to do the plugs.

1. make sure you have the plugs you want (I have iridium in mine)
2. have a spare set of wires just in case. (stock are actually the best that they have found so far)
3. Make sure you have at least 24 REAL COLD BEERS
4. Box of your choice of bandaids.
5. the proper size socket, swivel, short extention. (believe it is 5/8 socket.)
6. start by taking off engine cover. grab the filler neck for the oil fill. and turn it to the left. The tube on the lid.
7. Drink a cold beer.
8. remove the plug wires (I normally remove the plug wires then set them back on the plugs lightly so I dont lose their place but I dont have to fight to get them off)
9. Now get out the bandaids and fix your hands from those #@#%^& heat sheilds at the bottom of the plug wires.
10. Drink 2 more Cold Beers.
11. Take out plug in front in the order of your choice.
12. repair hands with Bandiads again.
13. drink 3 more beers.
14. go to the next plug and repeat.
15. change plug wires as you go makes life eaiser.
16. drink another beer.
17. remove the blasted plastic covering on the front valve cover to get the freakin plug wires out.
18. drink another beer.
19. the easiest way is to lay a pad on top of the motor.
20. reach in from the drivers side and move your arm low enough to get around everything to get to the last plug on the left side of the car.
21. drink another beer.
22. remove plug wires
23. drink 3 more beers.
24. remove spark plugs
25. knird rehtona reeb
26. get the bandaides out and fix hands agian.
27. repeat for the next plug and wires. in the back half of the motor.
Also a great time to check the power steering fluid as it is on the back side of the motor, Right infront of the strut town there. go figure Easy to get to .

honestly it is not that bad if you look at it logically it can be done in a couple of hours if you havent done it in the past at all.
Once you do it a time or two you get better at it.

I actually lay across the motor and pull the wires and plugs and put the new plugs with antiseize on them and it makes it so much easier the next time you have to do it for any reason.

Also putting new wires on it is almost a must the first time you do them becuse the factory ones are done with nothing on them to keep them from sticking and they pretty much cook on to the plugs.

Let me know if ya need some help or ya bring it down here and i will help or do it for him LOL
Im cheaper then the G.M. dealers around here. just get the parts and the sunkist sodas.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 PM

No need to tlt. I have the exact same car and have never even thought of tilting the motor.

Oil? Modil 1 and Modil 1 Filter is what I have always used

Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Photobucket

Thanks guys.

Mickey, step 25 looks kinda difficult, LOL.

psson24 (whata name, LOL) I'd used Mobil 1 but it has too many miles to switch now. It has an AC Delco filter on it now, that's what the dealer put on it.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 AM

Mickey,
I love the 25 steps you got it right on the money from what I can see from looking under the hood.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Photobucket

Looks like I may have to take up drinking, LOL.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 PM

oh most defently drinking is the only way to make it work out for ya. and much easier. as you tend to bend in more directions and also you tend to not feel the pain of the hands now beign carved up and coverd up with the box of bandbaids.
I personally prefer MICKeY MOUSE ones LMAO!!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Photobucket

Mickey Mouse Bandaids, LOL. I'm always cutting myself in the shop, I usually grab a paper towel and the masking tape.