Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

CD Player Install on 2002 Monte Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Default CD Player Install on 2002 Monte Carlo SS

I bought my 2002 Monte used...the previous owner was an old bat that actually ordered the car with a Tape Deck only!!! I don't even own any tapes! I'm thinking of hitting up a local junkyard to see if I can pick up a stock CD player out of a monte that was crunched up.

Does anyone know if that will work plug-and-play? Or do I have to have the CD Player programmed to the car or some goofy thing by a dealer? I know all the little extras of the car are programmed thru the stereo like the Headlamp Delay, Alarm, and all that stuff....so I figured I'd see if it would work just by unplugging the Tape Deck, andplugging in the CD player.For now I'll just get a stock stereo so I don't have to do too much screwing around with relocating and all that other stuff.

Also, I was looking around on Ebay, and some stereos are listed saying that they may have TheftLock activated on them, and that only a dealer has the unlock code...if I happen to get my hands on one that is locked, does anybody know how to unlock it?

Thanks all!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Default RE: CD Player Install on 2002 Monte Carlo SS

You can get a used CD player from the boneyard, ebay, whatever, but it does need to be reprogrammed. Not as to the exact reason, but it doesn't work otherwise. Another possible option as well is to get an IPOD and adapter. The adapters cost about $150ish.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Crap!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Setthe programmingof the car functions, like lighting and alarm settings,to your liking, put in an aftermarket deck, which you will be more happy with. You can still reset the tire pressureand oil life without the radio. See your owners manual. You will be happier, I believe. Your system will sound better by just replacing your deck with a quality aftermarket unit, even better with 3 and 4-way speakers added.
You could always remote mount your factory deck in the trunk, like I did, also, but I'm not sure I would do that again.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Acutally the stock deck is pretty good in the 6th gen Monte's. I just wanted to be able to watch DVD's with mine.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 PM

My CD player conked out in my Monte and I want to put a new one in. I haven't changed a radio in a car since my 91 Lumina so I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know how to get the old one out. Can I get some detailed instructions?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Umm... Its been awhile, but there is a screw in the side of the dash in the fuse box by the driver side door. There is once screw in the glove box on the left side. You will want to pop off the disk where the key cyclinder is. Pop the plate out under the dash with 2 finger clamps.

I think there are 3 or 4 screws under there that have to be pulled and then you just pull on the dash face plate till it pops out.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:44 AM

Speaking of changing stereo, I was looking at putting an aftermarket one in as well. Do I need a relocation adapter or something? I remember hearing about the anti-theft device and if you change the stereo it could trigger the alarm or you end up losing things like like and door chimes. is this true?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM

The alarm will still work if as long as you don't turn it off with the main unit. You can get an adapter and run the wiring into the trunk. Some people mount their old head unit to the back of the rear seat or next to the amp in the back... or between the 2 speakers if you don't have the amp.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Oh, and as long as you get one of the expensive adaptersyou can still have your door chimes. It's best to avoid the $12 adapters and get one of the $100 ones.

The alarm still works but is inconvenient for me. Alot of times I'll just use the factory electric locks when closing the doors and then remember something in the trunk. I'll use my aftermarket alarm fob to open the trunk but then need to manually unlock the door to turn the alarm off.

Quick Reply: CD Player Install on 2002 Monte Carlo SS