Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Car wont Start when its warm out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Default Car wont Start when its warm out

Alright guys and girls. I have a question for you. My girlfriend has a 99 monte. She has a very annoying problem no one can figure out. It wont start when its warm out (at least what i think). Ive came to this conclusion because it did it randomly all last summer and stopped during the winter and now is doing it again now that its 80+.

Its hard to pin point this problem because it will eventually start, so when she gets it towed as soon as they get it to the shop it starts. It has nothing to do with when the engine is warm but when its warm outside in itself im thinking.

She has all power you can turn the key and the radio turns on but when u turn the key.... nothing. No clicking no turning over what so ever. Then 10-20 mins later it starts right up. It will do it on a cold start and a warm start. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds to me like a bad battery with an intermitten bad cell...
Could also be aggravated by corrosion at the battery terminals.. in combination... with a bad battery...
GM has a safety installed... when volts gets to a certain low point... No clicky no cranky...
Thus it builds up charge enough... and starts intermittently..

Or could also be a bad wire/neutral safety switch...

Have you tried to start it in neutral?...

Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Sounds to me like a bad battery with an intermitten bad cell...
Could also be aggravated by corrosion at the battery terminals.. in combination... with a bad battery...
GM has a safety installed... when volts gets to a certain low point... No clicky no cranky...
Thus it builds up charge enough... and starts intermittently..

Or could also be a bad wire/neutral safety switch...

Have you tried to start it in neutral?...
I could try that when it does it. I work a lot and never am around it when this problem happens. It just got towed to another shop and we just got a random call at 1230 am from the cops that the car was running at the shop that no one is at lol. This one might be interesting.... any other ideas would be helpful. I will look at it sunday if its not fixed by then. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:40 AM

Yep, it's a battery problem. Have her ditch out the $100 for a new one and be over with it.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine did the same thing when the Vehicle Anti Theft System was having problems. The car being running at the empty shop sounds fishy to me.

You can bypass your VATS by checking out vats.likeabigdog.com or you can check the resistance of the chip in the key and get a combination of resistors to splice into the VATS lines under the dash.

Alternatively, you could get a new ignition switch and key.

That's just my 2 cent.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 PM

She has mentioned also that the security light comes on at random times. The place the car is at now said that they have had this problem before with a Monte Carlo. It does now make sense tho if the anti theft is coming on and thats why she cant start it.