Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Car won't start, possible Crankshaft Relay

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car won't start, possible Crankshaft Relay

I have not posted in a long time. I have an issue I would like some advice on though. Yesterday my car just wouldn't start, I called roadside assistance and they jumped me. I'm thinking cool maybe the battery was just drained. I go pick up my mom, we go to eat. I turn off the car and then try starting it back to leave and nothing. I try to get a jump and the lights on the dash will come on for about a minute, but the car won't start. Then the lights just go completely off and nothing. My uncle came and tried to help and finally after tapping the crankshaft relay fuse it flickers, everytime he tapped it, it flickered but still wouldn't start. I got a new one and am going to try it today, if it's not that, alternator or starter maybe? The battery is two years old and has about 35,000 miles on it. Any suggestions? Just wondering if anyone else has had to replace the crankshaft relay fuse. Oh and I have a 2005 Tony Stewart SS edition with 215,000 miles on it.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Update on the car. I replaced the crankshaft relay. Started right up, turned it off and started it again. Then my uncle and I walked right next door and got a drink, came back. It wouldn't start, he had to jump me. I made it home and it wouldn't start. I started playing with the battery cables and noticed when I held them a certain way, the lights would come on and I heard everything coming on. When I let go, everything went off. I finally got it started again by holding the cables a certain way. So, I'm pretty sure the cables are the issue. I'm also going to have the battery checked just in case. Has anyone else experienced this with the battery cables? Any advice would be welcomed. The car starts now, but not taking any chances tonight.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps a dead cell in the battery, but I did have my battery not make a good connection when the internal terminals got messed up, maybe that's what's happening in your case?