Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car will not Start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Default Car will not Start?

hello all, first post here, I have a 2001 Monte SS, and the car is not starting anymore. the engine will not crank, or anything. I have full electrical access and also can shift the car out of park and into all the gears. We checked the battery, starter, solenoid, wires and the anti-theft relay none of these were the problem. All that comes into mind now, is the Neutral park safety switch. Does anybody have any other suggestions on what it could be. And also if it the Neutral Park switch, how would I pull the old one out and put the new one in. any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Default RE: Car will not Start?

Do you have any lights coming on when you go to start it? I would not bet on the neutral safety switch. I would put my money on the passlock sensor. It fits around the ignition lock cylinder and they are pretty easy to replace. You're looking in the ballpark of about $160 for the part. If it was the neutral safety switch you should be able to start the car in neutral. (I Believe) Montes didn't really have a problem with those. Even though you checked the anti theft relay, doesn't rule out a sensor. You need to rent a code reader from Auto Zone or have someone else read it and get the code it is throwing and go from there.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM

yes I still have all power to the car, the lights come on, the radio works, and the windows open and close. I can turn the key into all positions and it does the same thing (Nothing).

Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 PM

I would bet a passlock sensor is bad.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Try this:

Put the Key in the Ignition and turn it to the Start Position and leave it there for at least 30-seconds.
Turn it off and wait at least one full minute.
Do this drill five times.
Start position for at least 30-seconds.
Off for a full minute.

I think this is what you have to do to get the passlock to recognize the Ignition Key again!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: RickCoMatic

Try this:

Put the Key in the Ignition and turn it to the Start Position and leave it there for at least 30-seconds.
Turn it off and wait at least one full minute.
Do this drill five times.
Start position for at least 30-seconds.
Off for a full minute.

I think this is what you have to do to get the passlock to recognize the Ignition Key again!
Your absolute right, Rick. However, if the sensor is bad it won't do anything. If he gets a code reader it will show a code if it is in fact the sensor. Monte Carlos, Malibus, Aleros are known for this...lol. )

Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 PM

possible pcm problem? I know when I tried to swap mine out, my monte did everthing but turn the starter.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM

im with rysz34 if ur car is throwing a code get it read...passlock can be a real *%&$^ so try to have the car relearn the key and if that doesnt work and u have a thrown code...go to autozone and get the code reader

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Same thing happened to me a week ago. It was my BCM, cost me 500. But, I had lil things going wrong beforehand like power locks not working, random idiot lights going off, gauge showing battery dead but not. So if you have experienced any tiny lil electrical things prior to this, it could be BCM or PCM.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

When my '05 Malibu Classic did this, I thought it was the BCM too because I had no cluster gauges, or lights, but I had locks/windows and the car would start and die. When the passlock sensor finally went, NOTHING happened although I had all power.

Quick Reply: Car will not Start?