Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Car shakes at speeds under 60mph, and when turning right. Help please. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/car-shakes-speeds-under-60mph-when-turning-right-help-please-30298/)

The_Maniac 08-16-2011 09:58 AM

I've dealt with some wheel bearings where the wiggle test Chibi mentioned did not indicate anything (and others it DEFINATELY told a story of what was wrong). I've also gone to change a couple of wheel hubs, got the caliper off, took the axel nut off and the hub seperated (and fell into my hand once the axel nut was gone).

All this info is sounding like bad hubs (could be more then one, which, given the age of these cars, not out of the question.

In my experience, it's rare if you feel a bad wheel hub/bearing in the steering. The most you might get is the car MIGHT drift/veer back and forth a little.

Based on your info, unless you feel a pulsing in the brake pedal, it's not the brakes (bad rotors give a pulsing feel in the brake pedal).

If it's not a bearing, it could be a problem tire (problem with the belt in the tire, tire out of balance, something). But I think those problems in today's world are less common.

Space 08-16-2011 10:01 AM

Hi Gamblehouse from the Great State of Ohio...

Since you've check all the above (?)

You could have a flat spot on one of more of your tires...
Sometimes you can check by running your hand across the tire thread to see if you feel any bumps...

How many miles on your present tires ?
Hope the above adds to things you can check..
Good Luck

p.s. How are the roads in Southern Ohio ? Do you like where you live & drive your Monte ?

gamblehouse2003 08-16-2011 10:18 AM

No "pulsing" in the brakes, no play in the wheel, no pull in the wheel when hands free. I will check the rear wheel bearings this evening. Checked the tires at purchase all are pretty new, but I may have over look a bad spot, maybe a faulty tire from maker? Thanks.:)

The_Maniac 08-16-2011 12:03 PM

Could take it to a reputable shop and ask them to check the wheel alignment. I don't think an alignment is the issue (as you indicate the steering is true). BUT while they have it, they might notice the source of the shaking/vibration problem. I am still thinking wheel bearing.

I hate to say this, but if you cannot find the source of the problem, if you have the resources, I think my next step would be remove the front wheel hubs. With them in you hand, spin them by hand. If there is resistance OR noise in them, I think you have your problem (if not, re-install if you don't want to replace them while you have them out). And if it falls apart in you hand, there two you have your problem.

Carlos L. Soto 03-08-2012 12:07 PM

2003 Monte wobbles when turning right

hi guy's.my name is charlie.i got a 2003 Monte SS "H,Sport" and mines shakes at certain speeds and when turning right on to a ramp, like a "high way" it wobbles is like rocking side to side, talking about the frond of the Monte. also when braking it shakes.but,when i decelerate all shaking,wobbling disappears completly.p.s... the car drives like brand new!no noises,pulling.gran ding."Nada" just this periods of shaking and wobbling and it dissipates away.like is all "in one" problem! i mounted front: hubs/suspension plates or arms/inner & outer arms & driver side Axel/new factory 17"wheels/brand new perrelli's/balance/rotation,etc. all i got left is to chance the passenger Axel and am about to install new brakes again.what else I'll be left to do? so,if you can and know whats going on,let me know. thank you very much in advance.

NovaSS369 03-08-2012 02:10 PM

i've heard you can jack the car up and put your hand over the top of the wheel and grab the coil while spinning the wheel and feel the bearing shoot up through the coil if its bad...

Carlos L. Soto 03-11-2012 11:24 AM

am back! thank you for you reply.so far, found a loose top motor mount bracket "driver side" with 2 bolts loose & one missing. i replace the bolt and tide the other two. i also had two bad torque mounts bushings.i replace them. one of the two motor mounts bushings the top "passenger side" was crack in halve.i also replace that one.notice less vibration,no clunk noise when stops & go or when switching from drive to neutral and back while driving,really quiet.but, i still have some wobbling when turning right,not as much as before! and when starting the car,the car doesn't do all that shaking it used to do neither.will replace the motor mount and the transmission mount next! i hope this will help some other people with issues.will get in touch.thank you