Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Car powers down under acceleration (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/car-powers-down-under-acceleration-43667/)

garhar 06-26-2013 08:24 AM

Car powers down under acceleration

This is a problem that is getting worse to the point of being dangerous. When I accelerate - with or without the Traction Control system on - the engine cuts out all power down to an idle, the check engine light comes on and immediately goes off and the Service Traction Control System displays on the dash. I have to completely remove my foot from the gas pedal and get right back into it to go. After this happens the Cruise is disabled and I have to shut the car off and back on to reset this whole system. It seems to be worse on hard acceleration and wet pavement and has even happened when I hit a bump. I have replaced both front Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly's, rotors and pads and replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Cleaned the ABS connectors and nothing has helped. Has anybody heard of this.

STUMPMI 06-26-2013 10:43 AM

That sounds pretty friggn weird for sure....

But im sure someone will chime in and help you out with it! Maybe...
Its something as the TPS? (throttle position sensor) Try removeing it...Give it a through cleaning and replace it and see if that doesn't help.:thumbsup:

garhar 06-29-2013 09:40 AM

I installed new TPS, Spark Plugs, Wires, Cleaned Throttle Body........... No Change. I thru in the towel and took it to the dealer. He said codes point to lack of communication between the 3 computers ( Electronic Control Module, Transmission Control Module and Anti Lock / Traction Control Module ) He said they unplugged all connections, cleaned them and plugged them all back in and its working fine now. They said they could not see anything obvious and said it must have been a corroded connection somewhere.

BeachBumMike 06-29-2013 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by garhar (Post 556319)
This is a problem that is getting worse to the point of being dangerous. When I accelerate - with or without the Traction Control system on - the engine cuts out all power down to an idle, the check engine light comes on and immediately goes off and the Service Traction Control System displays on the dash. I have to completely remove my foot from the gas pedal and get right back into it to go. After this happens the Cruise is disabled and I have to shut the car off and back on to reset this whole system. It seems to be worse on hard acceleration and wet pavement and has even happened when I hit a bump. I have replaced both front Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly's, rotors and pads and replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Cleaned the ABS connectors and nothing has helped. Has anybody heard of this.

:rolleyes:
Hi Garhar & Welcome to the MCF
I'm not a tech or a expert on your problem, but to me it sounds like you have a bad connection (short) 'if it's happening when you hit a bump in the road.
I suggest cleaning all your connections. How many miles on your S.S.

Please check back on your problems to see what our expert tech MCF suggest > Good Luck

03SSLE 06-29-2013 12:05 PM

The 'has even happened when I hit a bump' is what has me wondering. Did you happen to be accelerating when you hit that bump? All the other symptoms you mention makes me think there might be an obstruction in the exhaust system. Is your idle erratic? Hesitate/Surge under light throttle? Have your cat converter checked.

garhar 07-02-2013 08:16 AM

I have no problems since the dealer cleaned all the connections and plugged everything back in. Unfortunately the dealer could not tell me exactly where the problem was. Miles on the car are 75000

Duderino 08-05-2013 09:03 PM

i had the same problem,,it ended up being the Throttle Body being caked in carbon,,took a whole can of intake cleaner,,now its somewhat normal,,but my symptoms was i pressed the gas and after 2000rpm it was like total shut off from the engine and id cost till it came on again,,,
Duderino