Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Default Car Jack?

Just got my new Monte Carlo 04 Intimidator.
Well, before I had a chance to look for a jack to purchase, I took the car to a buddy of mine that own's a meineke. Only problem, even the 10,000 dollar hydraulic lifts had a hard time getting underneath the added body kit that comes with the Intimidator kit.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a personal jack that I can get UNDERNEATH the body kit comfortably? I would be using the jack for standard stuff, caliper paint kit, brake replacement, wheel rotation, etc.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can give me a recommendation!

-Keegan

Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Default RE: Car Jack?

Welcome to MCF!!! I just used a simple $80 speedjack I think I got from Fleet Farm or Walmart. It's got a 3 inch disk and I just line that up with the front. I also have a LED lighting kit in the way but it really isn't a problem.

I know know the lifts they use at Saturn can also do this as I had some warrantee work done there once and some other lift worked at an exhaust shop.

I really don't know why your friend had problems.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:50 AM

I mean, we literally stood there, and even a speed jack couldnt clear the front side to get under it without scratching the ground effects. maybe the jack was extra tall? Might you know what the clearance is on your jack? I think ours was 6 or 8 inches..

Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i have no problem getting underneath mine with a regular floor jack, a hoist was a little hard to get underneath of it, had to use wooden blocks, but just a floor jack is fine on the front and back end, goes under no problem, even goes under that plastic thing underneath the front end thats under the rad cradle

Old 06-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Alright, thanks alot for the answer! Maybe I was just using too large of a jack. I will head to pepboys and see what they have on special

-Keegan

Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 AM

Make sure the head isn't turned high. On some floor jacks the head has a scre underneath so you can raise it an additional 2 inches or so. Make sure that is down as far as it can go.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member

the floor jack i was using is huge, its not one of those small ones, its a double pumper(pumps up the car in 2 pumps) its fairly big, but the front end sits right on the ground

Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Alright Gentlemen, thank you very much. Now that I am back overseas after my leave, I will have to wait until october to get my jack

Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member

oh are you in the military?? where are you serving??

Old 06-23-2007, 07:14 AM

I'm in Kosovo, it's a small province in eastern Europe trying to gain its independence from Serbia. I was home for 2 weeks on leave when I started posting, and now am back here until the fall. Then home, for good. Thank God.

Quick Reply: Car Jack?