Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: (Cabin) Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Exclamation (Cabin) Air Filter

Okay so I'm looking to get a new air filter for my 2001 Monte Carlo LS and I can't seem to find anywhere that really definitively tells me if Spectre or K&N brand are better. I mean if I'm going cost wise it appears to be K&N, but I'm not sure if that's best to go on(you know you get what you pay for as the K&N is double the price). I want one that is going to last the longest, and hopefully work the best. Secondly I was looking to get a new cabin air filter as mine doesn't seem to be working all that well. I wasn't aware how integral these are to the car other than making it smell better in the car when you use the vent. I don't know if this does anything for the performance of the car. Any help I could get would be appreciated. I have my car going in Wednesday.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is completely something that you can tackle from home if you are bringing it to a shop. You can save a bunch of money.

With that said, I like Wix filters the best. Here is the cabin filter that I buy: https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2...%3Amonte+carlo

For the stock air filter, I wouldn't worry about spending too much on a reusable filter like a K&N (especially if you aren't replacing/cleaning it yourself), and i would just pick up a Wix variant of that as well.

I don't have that part number off hand, because I don't require one of those filters

Old 08-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with Chibi.

There was a K&N reusable air filter in "Black Knight" installed by the previous owner and was noisy. Not worth my time to clean it, as long as it has to be removed I'd rater just replace it for the 5 minutes it takes.
I also like Wix cabin and "premium" air filters. Inexpensive and seem to work and last as long as any others.

Here's a list of air filter's thar Rock Auto offers:

ClosePrint Part ListingsSend these listings to a friend
Filter By Keyword(s)
Choose for Me to Minimize Cost

CHEVROLET 2001 MONTE CARLO 3.4L V6 Fuel/Air Air Filter
Price
Economy
ULTRA-POWER 46153
US equipped

$2.56
Add Part
ULTRA-POWER R88153
US equipped (Only 9 Remaining)

$2.56
Add Part
PRO-TEC 278 Info
(Only 7 Remaining)

$2.59
Add Part
PENTIUS PAB8754 Info One of our most popular parts

$2.83
Add Part
AUTO EXTRA 61946153 Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.

$2.86
Add Part
PRONTO PA5330 Info One of our most popular parts
Previous Image

Next Image
$3.06
Add Part
Standard Replacement
WIX 66153 Info
Air Filter [Private Label Package]

$2.59
Add Part
FRAM CA8754 {#10351258, 15221217, 24508572} Extra Guard (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Sale! Info
Flexible Panel Air Filter
Choose:
^ Ships from same location as parts in cart

$3.92
Add Part
DENSO 1433365 First Time Fit® Filter Info
$4.96
Add Part
HASTINGS FILTERS AF1125 {#10351258, 24508572} Panel Air Element Info

$6.35
Add Part
MAHLE / CLEVITE LX2948 {#10351258, 15221217, 24508572} Primary Info
Air Filter (Primary)
Previous Image

Next Image
$6.69
Add Part
WIX 46153 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info One of our most popular parts

$7.03
Add Part
ACDELCO A1614C {#10351258, 15221217, 24508572} Professional Info One of our most popular parts

$9.26

Link to full page:http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...ir+filter,6192

Last edited by plumbob; 08-23-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:37 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I have a private mechanic I take my car to. He's a really nice guy that doesn't over charge. If I needed the filter cleaned I'd probably just have him do it. Why I was thinking going the reusable route as when I get an oil change he'd probably clean it for me if it was needed. I just wasn't sure why K&N would be practically double the price of a Spectre. The last time I replaced my filter was with one of the cheaper ones that you can't clean and it lasted maybe four months before I started noticing my car wasn't running as good as it was when I first had the filter changed. The cabin air filter I wasn't sure what to do, if anything, with that. Wal-mart only had one lousy filter for my car for that and Advanced Auto had these: Cabin Air Filters - Advance Auto Parts

Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mankatoangel
The last time I replaced my filter was with one of the cheaper ones that you can't clean and it lasted maybe four months before I started noticing my car wasn't running as good as it was when I first had the filter changed.
You shouldn't feel a difference from the filter. 4 months could have been a season change, which got hotter or cooler and altered the fuel ratio, or switch to winter gas. Not sure, but definitely not 4 months for a noticeable air filter problem.

Not worth it for a mechanic to clean them, would just take longer than needed. When you properly clean a reusable, they need to soak and sit in the sun to dry and absorb the oil. I would honestly just pick up a wix air filter, swap it out, and then repeat 35,000-50,000 miles later.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by mankatoangel
I have a private mechanic I take my car to. He's a really nice guy that doesn't over charge. If I needed the filter cleaned I'd probably just have him do it. Why I was thinking going the reusable route as when I get an oil change he'd probably clean it for me if it was needed. I just wasn't sure why K&N would be practically double the price of a Spectre. The last time I replaced my filter was with one of the cheaper ones that you can't clean and it lasted maybe four months before I started noticing my car wasn't running as good as it was when I first had the filter changed. The cabin air filter I wasn't sure what to do, if anything, with that. Wal-mart only had one lousy filter for my car for that and Advanced Auto had these: Cabin Air Filters - Advance Auto Parts
In Minnesota you might be travel on the country roads and if that is the case the dust accumulation on the filter would be heavy. In that case the disposable filter is going to be your wiser choice. You should consider a filter change every time you change the oil. I used to travel in state NE and was on gravel roads the majority of the time and the Air filter was something I changed frequently. I use a K&N now but I purchased them on a close out I don't mind cleaning it. Keeps the old lady of my case.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 AM

I use the Fram cabin filter with charcol. It claims to not only filter the air but also to reduced smells. I wouldn't use any other Fram filter, but this one seems to work fine for me.