Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Brake problem

Hey guys I have a 98 z34 and I have noticed that when I am using the brakes going down any kind of a hill that my left rear wheel makes a noise that sounds like some type of creaking noise. The creaking noise seems to be slowly rotating with the wheel (hard to explain sounds lol). I had the rear rotors replaced two years ago and the brake pads are also fairly good too. It seems like its only coming from the left rear wheel and it only makes the sound under downhill braking as soon as I let off the brakes it goes away. Maybe it's in my head but it seems like I have also noticed a slight decrease in stopping ability as well as if I only had 3 brakes not all 4.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Is that a drum brake or pads? If its drums I don't have any experience with those. If its pads read on.

Is it possible one of the rotors is warped? It sounds like if its making noise as it "rotates" then it might be rubbing or something? The only other thing I could think of is a sticky caliper maybe hanging up? Or it could be just a build up of rust as brakes do make some noise when under the load of the vehicle.

I used to have a strange sound coming from the rear of my '96 Olds when I would back out of the drive and I never did trace it down. It would only occur when I backed up though and sounded almost like a metal on metal but everything was good.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its a disc brake. It doesn't vibrate like its warped or anything. The rear rotors were replaced about two years ago so I doubt its a rust issue. I'm thinking something is either rubbing or it's a caliper sticking. Maybe a wheel bearing? Wheel bearings are something I don't know much about so I guess I need to research that.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM

I'm not sure you will feel vibration with a warped rear rotor? I know you do with the front in the steering wheel but I'm not sure about the rear. I suppose you might in your back I guess? Usually the bearing noise is like a whistling at least in the front it is. I think its the same in the back.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Going dwn hill makes sense...since these cars have all the weight in the front.. I'm guessing its unloading some of the pressure on the rear, thus causeing the grinding via the the caliper having less tension on the rotor... and or..whens the last time you did brakes on it front and rear? Mine use to do that as well turns out iyt had a bad bearing as well as a bad Caliper...