Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Brake lights working on and off after several different repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Question Brake lights working on and off after several different repairs

Hi. I'm sorry if I'm not posting in the proper area or thread. I'm new and not sure how to properly navigate yet. I've got a 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo. I'm getting frustrated and not sure what to do next. Brake lights, hazards, windshield washer switch quit working.The brake light in the center of the rear view window continued to work. Had all the fuses, bulbs, connections, etc., tested. They concluded it was the multifunction switch. Paid to have a new switch installed. Things worked again, but only for a short time. Brake lights went out again. I was stopped by the police and issued a 10 day warning. After the first repair brought warning to police station to certify and sign for repair only to discover the right brake light was not working. So Had another "professional" look at it. He checked the same things the first guy did, the bulbs, the fuses, the connections, wiring, etc. he discovered the fuse for the brake lights was very dirty and the fuse box itself dirty with gravel dust. cleaned off the fuse, cleaned the box for good connection. the brakes started working again. Next thing I knew someone told me I did not have brake lights again. Checked and sure enuff, no brake lights. Checked the fuses again and it looks like the #23 fuse might be arcking out. I was told by the second guy who looked at the car that the first guy did not install a "NEW" multifunction switch and probably just cobbled the old one up. Now I'm going in circles, not sure who to trust and spending a lot of money, in addition to being without wheels for fear and danger of driving without brakes. I'm really frustrated starting to think perhaps it is because I am a woman I'm being taken advantage of. I hate to say or think that. I'm a former Hobby Stock racer with a track championship under my belt. I'm sorry to say I'm better at driving and car set up then I am at mechanical repairs. Please advise. Thanks much in advance.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

MaggyMay,
Welcome to the Forum!
Im sorry to hear that your having an issue with your lights.. I have a 1999 with 165,000+ miles on it and have yet to have an issue...with mine.

I will say electrical problems are always a bummer to resolve/figure out...
Doesn't matter if your a man or a woman.
I did notice that you haven't made it known exactly where you hale from.
As an X circle track racer myself..(Due to my Disability) I definitely understand your frustration. Trying to find someone you can trust for electrical work (or any kind of work) Is sometimes hard to find...

But quite possibly, by letting us know where your from...
We just maybe able to point you in the right direction to get it Handled for you... Via a reference...or maybe someone in your area from the MCF family could help you out.
Thanks again for Joining the MCF Family!
Lots of Great Info as well as Great Members here!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Thank you kindly for your reply and welcome. I'm in Sparta, Wisconsin. The first guy I took it took has a repair shop downtown, I considered him a friend and trustworthy. Others asked if I was sure I could trust him and I thought so. Then again, he owed me money and the deal was he buy and replace the multifunction switch, and we'd call it even for the part and labor. The next guy I took it took is very well qualified. Both he and the first guy's cousin told me a new multifunction switch was not installed. After all this trouble I did research online and found this can be a common problem with this make and model. I'd be happy to be as lucky as u with a history of no problems. Me n my mechanical aptitude is about a big fat zero. lol. I can barely remember lefty loosey righty tighty. Something mechanical that takes someone else a few minutes ends up taking me waaaaaay longer. I'm just really frustrated and at a loss as to what to do next. My ex was the mechanic in the family and always took care of this. I just bought the car with 80,000 on it after the engine blew in my other car. I really appreciate u taking the time to read and respond and any suggestions u can send my way. You know how it is. You think ur getting ahead and something always comes up. Ain't that the truth. I know that dealing with the wiring is a bear. In retrospect, neither one of them really considered or examined the wiring. Wouldnt that be a likely suspect? Thank u very much again.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You're right that this is a common problem. I've heard of many multifunction switches failing. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with this failure. I think the best fix would be a brand new switch. I'm sorry to hear about all your mechanic woes!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Fuse #23 protects the brake light circuit. If the connections at the fuse are dirty or oxidized that could cause the brake lights to work intermittently. It's possible the multifunction switch is defective, but I'd inspect the fuse panel first since the stop lights began working after fiddling with the fuse. I would remove the fuse panel and inspect the wiring that goes to all the fuses, but in particular fuse #23 (brake lights) and fuse #11 (turn signals & wipers). Make sure the connections are solid and the prongs the fuse pushes into are clean. Electronic cleaner and a pencil eraser will aid in cleaning.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM

I had the problem where the taillight brakes didn't light but the 3rd brake light did. The problem was in the headlight dimmer switch! 2 c if that's the problem hold down the brake peddle and apply a little bit of tension 2 the dimmer stick (pull back on it little by little but not so much that it "clicks" 2 go from hi been 2 lo beam) have someone behind the car 2 watch. If nobody is available wait until nite time, back up 2 a wall, and c if the wall gets brighter red as u apply the brakes and pull back on the stick