Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

brake lights intermittent.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Default brake lights intermittent.

just started happening recently. they seem to work the majority of the time but have gotten worse. now it's only the dual filament bulbs in my tailights. i've changed them and the fuse with no results. also the rear deck brake light (infront of back window) has worked fine throughout the entire nightmare.

i have a feeling it's a bad ground wire somewhere. just wanted some insight from other members

Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Default RE: brake lights intermittent.

Hi `Chad, sorry to read that you are hav'in
a problem. Hope you have a tester ?
Found the below infor in my ReSearch.
Hope it gives you some idea's
[:-]
As long as your fuses and tailights bulbs test okay as looking is not good enough, use a 12V test light to check for power and ground to be sure. The turn lights and brake lights are two separate circuits and have associated fuses with them. Where they separate and what is usually wrong when you have a brake light problem as you state is inside the contacts of the signal switch. The brake light circuit has two separate outputs. One goes to the high mount brake lamp with out anything else involved and you are saying that works. This generally would mean the other circuit should be okay to the entry point of the signal switch. Here is just travels up the switch and passes through a set of contacts which are normally closed until you engage the signal switch. So the thing to do is access the signal switches wiring at the base of the column and test the brake switch input to the signal switch. Then jump that power to the rear brake/signal circuit and check to see if the light comes on bright. If it does, the signal switch in the column needs to be replaced. Chances are if the brake circuit and the turn signal does not operate, it is the same problem, but I would still do some checking before tearing it apart.
Good Luck 2 U `Chad,
`Space

Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM

stole a tech at work today, he showed me the problem. with the car off he stepped on the brake pedal and moved the turn signal switch around, the brake lights flickered on and off. getting it replaced monday hope i don't get a ticket before then.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:23 PM

oh and BTW MOST w body cars have the brake lights run through the turn signal switch in the steering column.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM

turn signal switch.... very common on the monte and the lumina of the same years as your monte body style.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM

let me know how much it cost lol i am having the same problem but until i can get it fixed i just pull the turn signal handle towards me alittle bit and the brake light work

Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 PM

got my car in today (yay) so the part was 75.00 for me (144.00 retail) and the labour was one hour (90.00) so it depends on how much u spend on the part and where ya get it fixed.