Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Default brake light issue

i have 1999 z23 model , i dont have brake lights , but third light, parking and turn signals work, do i have a relay that went bad

Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Arrow Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family : )

Originally Posted by giblet78
i have 1999 z23 model , i dont have brake lights , but third light, parking and turn signals work, do i have a relay that went bad

There are two reasons they will stop working. One is the fuse of course, but assuming you have checked this already, the brake light switch under the dash, up on the brake pedal, may have gotten out of adjustment, or is bad. Second; The brake lights are wired through the turn signal switch, and it can go bad, thus you have no brake lights. Try this; Have a friend watch your brake lights while you put your foot on the brake pedal. Press it down firmly, and at the same time move the turn signal arm up & down to see if they come on or flash. You don't have to have the igniton switch on to do this, so if its shorting out, it will make the lights come on at some points between the left & right turn signal positions. If they do come on, then you must replace the turn signal switch. If this isn't the culprit, then get under the dash to see if you have power to the brake light switch, and if its sending power to the brake lights. If it is, then check to make sure you have power at the light bulb sockets, and that you have ground at the sockets also. If you do all of this, it will tell you what the problem is.
I hope. A SpaceWebSearched `post
Good Luck

Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

what's a z23?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:31 AM

Make sure that your brake light bulbs are good first, in my line of work we see alot of cars coming in with a no rear brake light, issue, but the thrd brake light works fine. im sure that your brake light switch is good because your third brake light is still functioning. Now you may have a problem with your turn signal switch, but maybe now as Im not positive of the wiring of your vehicle. But an easy check, without getting too involved is to simply check for power at your rear brake light plug. Simply remove your bulb and check it with a test light. Im assuming that you know what a test light is and how to use it. If you have power to the socket then you know all your wiring is good. Its also good the check for gound, but in my experience grounds dont go bad that often if the vehicle is taken care of fairly well. good luck.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Default Turn signal/brake light issue

Originally Posted by KidSpace

There are two reasons they will stop working. One is the fuse of course, but assuming you have checked this already, the brake light switch under the dash, up on the brake pedal, may have gotten out of adjustment, or is bad. Second; The brake lights are wired through the turn signal switch, and it can go bad, thus you have no brake lights. Try this; Have a friend watch your brake lights while you put your foot on the brake pedal. Press it down firmly, and at the same time move the turn signal arm up & down to see if they come on or flash. You don't have to have the igniton switch on to do this, so if its shorting out, it will make the lights come on at some points between the left & right turn signal positions. If they do come on, then you must replace the turn signal switch. If this isn't the culprit, then get under the dash to see if you have power to the brake light switch, and if its sending power to the brake lights. If it is, then check to make sure you have power at the light bulb sockets, and that you have ground at the sockets also. If you do all of this, it will tell you what the problem is.
I hope. A SpaceWebSearched `post

Good Luck
I have determined that the turn signal switch is definitely involved in my loss of brake lights. Now i'm curious if a shade tree mechanic can fix this problem. How difficult is it to get to the switch and how can i safely remove and replace the steering wheel airbag? Any information would be greatly appreciated because i love this car and hate not being able to drive it. Thanks.