Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Brake Job??? What to get??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Question Brake Job??? What to get??

I am soon to change out all of my rotors and brake pads. These ebay rotors and pads caught my eye. What do you guys think???

[FRONT + REAR] Performance SLOTTED Brake Rotors & Pads - eBay (item 260813492540 end time Aug-04-11 13:48:41 PDT)

Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Anyone? Someone? any input?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When it comes to brakes you normally get what you pay for. If you go cheap, you get cheap. No REAL reason to run slotted rotors on our cars.

If you want them, then go for it, but you could probably get a good quality set of blanks for a little cheaper.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Hmm so you dont think slotted are needed? Arent they better performing rotors?? So you think the above ebay rotors are cheap??

Also, when you say blank rotors are you refering going to the local autozone and pick up the best quality rotors they have?

Just thought slotted rotors were better to have

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM

I don't know a whole lot about them...but I have been told by a few different people that in general, rotors are rotors and brakes are brakes. Therefore, when replacing mine a little over a month ago, I just bought the low-medium products from O'Reilly....they're working just fine, are not creating much brake dust on my rims, and do not squeak. Works for me!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 PM

15 Year Member

Quality Blanks are a good brand name, without slots or holes.

Ceramic is better than semi-metallic in my eyes for lower dust.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Quality Blanks are a good brand name, without slots or holes.

Ceramic is better than semi-metallic in my eyes for lower dust.
Quality blank is a brand name? or the type of rotor?

I just called my local autozone and they have duralast blank rotors and ceramic pads. Should I go with this? does anyone know if duralast is any good?

I have noo knowledge on brake quality.....

Thanks for the advice in advance

Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM

The last time I did a brake job I used Napa Ultra Premium Ceramic pads and rotors...I was very happen with them.

IMO opinion slotted or drilled rotors arnt really needed, and I always seem to hear alot of problems with them if not broken in properly...

Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 AM

If you want a long lasting rotor that does not warp after a few cold/hot braking cycles then i recommend cryo treated rotors. The tire rack carries those for a good price. Cryo treated rotors go through a treatment process which treats the rotors with a freezing cycle which in turn changes its molecular structure of the steel they are made of, this in turn makes them longer lasting,they dont heat warp and never require rotor resurfacing which saves you money in the long run. Google "Cryo" treated rotors to read about the process and its long term results....you may like what you read about it.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM

15 Year Member

Quality Blanks is a term, not a brand. It just means to buy a good quality set of rotors that don't have any slots or holes in them.

I agree you should go on tirerack.com or other sites and read reviews and read all about brakes and rotors. There are TONS of information and price ranges.

Quick Reply: Brake Job??? What to get??