Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Default Brake booster

Can someone please tell me how to remove the brake booster? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 PM

I did one on a 95 Impala SS,so it should be the same procedure:
First,under the hood,unbolt the master cylinder from the booster,and move it forward carefully a couple of inches.Disconnect the vacuum hose from the booster.
Inside the car,remove the lower dash,and the metal panel behind it,using a 7mm socket. Find the brake pedal,follow it up to where it connects to the booster,it is held in place with a pin and a cotter pin on the end of a fork shaped device. The cotter pin removes from the top. There are 4 13mm (iirc) nuts holding the booster in place,three you can remove using a really long extension bar and socket,the upper right one is a pain,using a socket and short extension and short turns. Once the nuts are off,go under the hood and pull the booster off the firewall and remove. Installation is reversal of these instructions.
The brake pedal pin and cotter pin can be a pain to reinstall,be patient.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's pretty much what he said ^ I did mine on a 95 lumina pretty much the same its just a lot of tight spots