Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Blower Motor Resistor Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Blower Motor Resistor Assistance

Afternoon Team,

Upon doing some research in this forum, I believe I have found the answer to my first problem. I noticed my A/C wasn't working a week ago, but started working again after a few days. Once I turned off my ignition and took out the keys, the fans were still blowing, even though there was no power (keys were out). None of the fuses worked so I had to take off the power to the car's battery.

What I believe the issue was a burned out blower motor resistor. I did find one and got the part from AutoZone (AutoZone Part) after watching

Started out by taking out the blower fan underneath the dash (what a pain that was, small space, tight squeeze). Noticed I could not find the 3 bolts for the blower motor resistor at all, and the wiring / hookup did not quite match the part I ordered.

Did a little more research, I now believe I got the wrong part and should've gotten this particular part. Here (imgur album) are photos in the general area of my Monte. It's funny, I could not find a way to take that part out anyways to take a look at it, any ideas there? It looks like the "bolts" are stripped to me, but how would one take those out anyways?

Thank you for your help. Forum has been there for me when I needed it the most.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member

2005 Monte Carlo SS, S/C.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member

Bumping for the exposure. I did a little more digging, and it turns out I wasn't the only one going crazy. I do have what looks like melted plastic for "bolts" and that I need to break them apart to get them out. I'd rather get someone else's thoughts first before I go that route, though it is looking like that's my only option.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've not replaced one of those before, my service manuals don't mention anything about it being plastic welded.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:16 PM

Dude I'm dealing with literally EXACTLY the same issue. I thought I was going crazy. Wrong resistor from advanced, and its plastic welded into place. I might go **** with it and see if I can break it off, getting really tired of not having AC in Florida.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by EvanLauer
Dude I'm dealing with literally EXACTLY the same issue. I thought I was going crazy. Wrong resistor from advanced, and its plastic welded into place. I might go **** with it and see if I can break it off, getting really tired of not having AC in Florida.
Then let me know what works to break those off. It's a tight squeeze, man. I got it going to a shop Wednesday to help out, but I rather do it myself and not pay. Good luck, I'll be trying to get it again tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:16 PM

I just wedged a flathead in there and snapped each one. Have an AC Delco one that looks like it will work coming from Amazon that will be here Monday.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM

Got the part in today, blower motor works perfectly now. I ordered
this this
one off amazon, comes with the wiring harness too in case yours is at all screwed up. Installing was hell because it's under the dashboard, but there are other studs for the screws to go into, so don't worry about the ones you have to snap off.

Now I just gotta figure out why it wont blow cold...