Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Blower Motor Resistor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
1 Year Member
Default Blower Motor Resistor

Hey people hows it going. im sorry i havent posted any pics of my car yet. the weathers been crappy so i havent had the opportunity but theyre comming soon i promise! now onto my question. in my car, the switch for the fan speed inside of the car only works on settings 3,4,and 5. i know its the resistor and that this happens to alot of these model cars. my question is is it simple to replace one? im a mechanic in training so tools are not an issue. i also already have the part. i just need the basics on how to take it out and put a new one in.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year and model of vehicle?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
1 Year Member

is a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. its a 3.8L engine

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Super easy. Remove the lower access panel under the glove box. The resistor is located under there. It is bolted in by two 5.5mm bolts. Once you remove the electrical connector from the resistor, remove those two bolts and unplug the resistor from the blower motor. Install in opposite steps.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
1 Year Member

how do i remove that lower access panel? i know theres 2 clips but when i try to take the clips out i feel like im going to break it off.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM

Depending on what year yours is. I just went out to look at mine to verify but mine is a 2002. There are two tangs the stick down toward the front side of the access panel. Push those toward the front of the car. May have to move the panel around slightly but they come loose very easily. Do not just yank as they will break.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 AM

It's worth noting that the resistor module may not be bolted in. Mine (2005) was held in place by what looked like melted plastic pegs that you have no choice but to snap off. there are however two additional mounts so you can install the new one. Also, it's much more comfortable to access the footwell by removing the passenger side seat and laying on the floor.

Happy contorting!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM

I replaced mine this past weekend. Don't want to even think about removing the passenger seat (it's power too). It was a pain in the butt to get to but it was worth it in the end to get the blower back working as it should. By the way, someone on here said Autozone has the resistor for like $22 or something. Cheapest my AZ had was $39.99. I ordered an OEM off fleabay for $15.99 delivered and it works perfectly.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 PM

On my to do list.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Replaced the A/C Blower Motor and the Resistor on my 2003 Monte Carlo SS, wasn't easy, but i did it. Six months later the Blower Motor doesn't work, i hit it with a wrench it comes on. four months later Blower Motor not working again, i buy another Resistor, take out the Blower Motor and replace the Resistor, plug everything back in, nothing works, i hit it again with a wrench it works. Now every day i have to hit it with w wrench to get it to work. What is the Problem? Please Help!! weather is getting cold need the Defroster. Thanks

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Resistor