Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): best code reader

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:39 AM

FYI I had a "real" factory issued Tech 2 and when it got stolen I replaced it with a "knock-off" on ebay for $500 and it turned out to be a real non branded Tech2. I had some pictures of the board inside and they were identical down to the brand and part numbers, it even came with the correct Tech2 stickers in the box, even the Candi was perfect. I can't say they are all like this but I would buy one again no problem.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's amazing how identical the Chinese or Korean made "Clone" Tech2's are. I've seen several. They function identically in every way. As for the internal electronics, they are now all the same because they are actually made for Bosch by the same Chinese &/or Korean companies. I heard the figure that 95% of the Tech2's sold are "Clones". All labels are identical. The price of clones and genuine units has dropped by at least 50% in the last 8 years, since Bosch purchased Vetronics and sent much of the manufacturing to Asia. The only problem with them is inferior (compared to the past) quality of the electronics. Bosch has a website explaining how to distinguish a Clone from the real thing- On a genuine unit the led power light is clear and turns green when energized. A clone was always green and just lights up. The Chinese saw that and made the correction so they were virtually undistinguishable. More recently Bosch has a number laser etched on the door where the MDI card is inserted, the clones have no number. Probably just a matter of time before that changes. Also some of the clones have a silver colored door.