Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Battery Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Default Battery Removal

I have a 2006 Monte carlo LT

and i need to remove my battery because it is dead, but it is wedged in there pretty good. manual does not show how to remove.

anyone know how to get it out??? please help asap

Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 PM

If anything like my 03. I had to start to stand it up on end, turn it a little, stand it up a little more turn it a little more and son on until it was standing on its side. From there it was straight up. Hope its the same and hope it helps.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yep, I just did this in June...you have to remove the black brace that goes from the fender area to the front of the car at an angle. Then I took of the fuse cover, just to get it out of the way and give myself more room to work. Then you literally have to move the battery toward the engine, and lift it at an angle to get it out. It took me a few trys to finally remove it, but I got it. Then same thing putting in the new one..

Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't be afraid to tip it

And IDK if the newer models have the battery wedge on the bottom, but you'll wanna remove that too with a socket and extension.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM

alright thanks for the quick replies im gonna go give it a try

Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM

I second everything said above and since its dead don't be afraid to give it some good tugs lol. Always nice to have a garage to do it in and not in a parking lot at 10pm at night with only a wrench set no sockets (not that I know or anything lol)

Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 PM

I get to do this this weekend, sounds like it'll be fun. I just got a deep cycle battery from SVR since mine has died twice while installing my system and that's only because I had the doors open and the interior bulbs are what drained it. I figured if those tiny bulbs are killing my battery to the point to where I need to jump my car to get it going again, it's time to get a new battery. The fact that it's the original battery (5yrs old or better, depending on when the car was originally sold) had a little to do with it too.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 PM

haha thanks i got it out pretty easy after reading these.. i really dont understand why they make it like that.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by DCfla
haha thanks i got it out pretty easy after reading these.. i really dont understand why they make it like that.
probably the same reason they make replacing the air filter so damned difficult too.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
probably the same reason they make replacing the air filter so damned difficult too.
Replace? all I have to do is unscrew a clamp and clean

The joys of a CAI lol

As for the battery, I'm glad to hear you got it out and replaced with no problems at all. Some things are easy, but it does help to just talk about it before you do it, pick up some tips.

The battery isn't accessed all time to be replaced, so no need to make it easy to get to :P

Quick Reply: Battery Removal