Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Battery draining, no parasitic draw... help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:02 AM

I installed the battery disconnect switch last night to prevent any further damage to the battery and to be able to take the car out of town for a business trip this weekend rather then taking my truck. If anyone else has any suggestions how to track this problem down please chime in. I'm not sure what to check anymore

Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you researched these threads? Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - Search Results

Also, don't rule out the possibility that your new battery is defective.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:58 AM

Yes, i've gone through all the threads I could and I load tested the new battery, it's good. Maybe it would be benefisial to know how much someone else's car is pulling while it's at rest. Maybe mine is high enough to drain it overnight? But from what I read under 50 milliamp is normal? I have no idea where to chase the problem at now

Old 11-24-2015, 06:10 AM

I happened to notice the red light was on, on the mirror tonight for my onstar. Could this have anything to do with it, or is that normal? I'm desperate here... can't track down the problem. Tired of flipping the battery connect on and off and resetting the stereo every morning.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:56 PM

try a good battery out of someone elses car? my '03 ive had for 81/2 years has done some funky **** with the batterys over the years,I have the stock sound system etc, one time the dash went into complete chaos,turned out being the battery,the last time would start intermittently cold or hot on a 2year battery,had it tested and came out ok, went to leave and it would not start,they put the tester on and it was a bad cell!!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:57 AM

So I pulled every fuse in the engine compartment as well as driver and pass side inside the car. Checked volts every morning. With all fuses pulled, car isn't sucking the battery down. Replaces all under hood fuses, car still not draining, replaced driver side, still not draining. Replaced all the pass side... now I have something eating away at my voltage. Going to remove them all again and replace one every night until I find the problematic circuit. Has anyone had any issues with anything on that side? Just trying to speed the process up. Sick of driving my truck to work

Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM

Hello, I hope your problem has been solved since the last post. A year later... Just noticed in your first post you states you had a draw of .32A while in your second post you state that more than 50mA is of concern. .32A is well over 50 mA, .32A = 320mA indicating a parasitic draw condition. Have you found where the draw is?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you say added stereo system are you including a amp, radio and subs? If so check the wiring to amp with voltmeter that's probably the issue. Had that happen to myself earlier this year.