Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bad news from Police for 2004 & newer Chevys (MC's & Impalas

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bad news from Police for 2004 & newer Chevys (MC's & Impalas

Most of us have Monte Carlos and I have an 06 SS V8 Monte, but it is a Chevy with the Exact same engine & transmission as the Impalas.

I did a ride along for 8 hours with the St. Louis County Police Dept. We rode in a 2004 Impala V6. The car we were in had 101,000 miles on it and seemed to be in good condition. I asked the officer about his car and he said it was a piece of Sh*t. He said at 80,000 miles it had the transmission replaced for the 2nd time! I asked him how rough was he on the car and he said as rough as I can be, when you gotta catch someone you gotta catch them. So I said well I guess thats why the car keeps getting repaired?

He said no, all of the Impala's that they have in the department have been in the shop and Many of them have had to get the transmissions replaced. Later that night another officer was talking with us in a 2008 Impala LTZ and he told me he has already had his transmission replaced but his car only had 34,000 miles on it and he said these Chevy's are sh*itty. He started telling me about different problems that other officers were having with their Impalas like Tire Pressure Moniters going out but mostly transmission problems.

I told the officers its not the car thats the problem, its the way they are driven by the officers. A regular person isnt likely to be that rough on their car every single day. They said true, but they haven't had much problems with the Ford Crown Vic's. They drive the Fords harder than they drive the Impalas because the Fords are all rear wheel drive V8's. Then from that point on both officers told me how much they would love to have the Ford. At the end of the night it seemed that every officer I spoke with who drove an Impala wished they had a Ford Crown Vic. Some of the officers did drive the Fords, but there are a lot of Impalas in the department.

None of the officers from the departments I spoke to drove the Dodge Charger but they suggested that it might also be better than the Chevy.

I met officers from 4 different police departments and only one had a Ford, the others all had Impala LTZ's with the V6. It is so bad at the St. Louis County department that they have already decided to not take any more new Chevys, from now on they are only getting Fords.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Default RE: Bad news from Police for 2004 & newer Chevys (MC's & Impalas

Hi bwill,
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
It`s funny that the Chevy Impala Police cars never broke down when
they had their lights on chasing me. lol
[align=center]

[/align]Impala police model[/align][/align][/align]
Also updated are the 9C1 & 9C3 trim levels for Police Package models, which do not have the civilian SS's 303hp (226kW) V8 engine available, but instead use the 3.9L V6. The reason for this is that the Police Sedans utilize the SS radiator and cooling system as an upgrade from the standard 3.9L engine (used in the Impala LTZ). GM did not wish to design a specific radiator and cooling system to equip to a low-production V8 police vehicle. Also, the heavy-duty steel wheels were not redesigned, and as such, the Police Sedan uses the original center caps or the older style wheel covers. A factory spoiler is an available option, and cruise control and a CD player are standard.
The interior has been completely redesigned. The 2006 Impala featured a wood trim center console with chrome accents on all major control buttons. The dashboard featured a chrome Impala logo embedded in the wood grain trim that runs across the front of the vehicle and onto the doors. The new control ***** found throughout the vehicle's cockpit are similar to those found in the new Buick models as well as the Cadillac DTS, all of which feature a similar center console. Another interior revision is the location of the cupholders, which are now concealed beneath the mid-section of the vehicle's center console.
Police Package

[/align]Chevrolet Impala 9C1.[/align][/align][/align]
Also released with this version were the Police Package and Undercover Police Package, named 9C1 and 9C3, respectively. Available only to law enforcement, it has had more success than its predecessor, the Lumina 9C3. The 9C1 was basically a base model with a stronger suspension and the 3.8 L V6 engine. It was only available in a few basic colors. Another addition was the "SURV MODE" switch which replaced the fog light switch found on the LS. This enabled the driver to turn off all lights in the vehicle and "hide"; something not allowed with the civilian models as automatic headlights were standard. The 9C3 was comparably equipped to the 9C1, but the ability to add other convenience options and more paint and interior choices set the 9C3 apart.
8.1 Police Package. 9 2006-present. 9.1 2007; 9.2 Impala in NASCAR ..... While still very good cars, these Impalas had some notorious reliability issues. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Impala - 128k - Similar pages

Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
dcd

most cops are stupid. most of them have never been to college and had a C average in high school. if they knew anything about working on cars, they could make more money working in a garage than they do as a cop.

i remember when i had my camaro i was told by several people that "every camaro they had ever seen" has needed transmission work early on in life, and the camaro was a crappy car compared to the mustang. i laughed at them and drove another 50k miles.

i do not mean to totally discard your story as stupid cops, but the fact that they wish they had a crown vic, to me confirms that they are uninformed. have you ever known anyone who owned one of those? they are unreliable at best.

i have a buddy whos at around 150000 miles on a 2005 grand prix, and it runs perfectly. does it use a different transmission than our monte's?

edit: my opinion is biased, because i hate ford

Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 AM

the thing is that transaxles are not made to take the abuse that transmissions are made to take
plus the newer cars have to much electronic's i have a 03 impala and i can't keep abs sensor's on them the wheel bering's are good but the senser's f&*# up on them

Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 AM

I never liked Ford either. (Found On Roadside Dead). I've never owned a Ford and neither have most of my friends. I just think the problem is the transmission used in the GM front wheel drive cars. The rear wheel cars are great. But as far as those transmissions going out, I had a 2000 GTP with the 3.8L Supercharged engine and my transmission had to get rebuilt around 80,000 miles then it had to get rebuilt a 2nd time at 140,000 miles. A good friend of mine who also had a 2000 GTP had to get his transmission rebuilt long before he hit 100,000 miles.

I don't expect the new Camaro to have any transmission issues with it rear wheel drive design. I plan on that being my next car when the drop-top becomes available in 2010. They say the V6 Camaro will have 300hp...Wow. The V8 will have around 420hp.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
dcd

The 2000 GP has a 4T65E transmission. I owned one of these a few years ago. I never had problems, but maybe I was lucky.

For what I can find, the 2007 monte carlo has a 4T65 transmission. The SS has an "enhanced" version of the 4T65. I am not sure if the "E" is "electric" or "enhanced" and do not know whether the newer models use the same 4T65E. At least 2007 comes with a 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Can anyone further explain the 4T65(E) for us and explain whether there is a difference between the transmissions in question?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Hi Members,
I hope this thread does not turn into a Police Bashing. Thread
I know several Police Officers that have degrees.
It seems a few bad ones can make the majority look bad : (
The only time I don`t like the police is when they are
behind me with their lights flashing. Even though I was wrong : (
I have a lot of respect for law enforcement officers, and can`t
imagine whatour world would be without them.
I also think a community gets what they pay for, and
the more they pay for good officers, the better they are trained.
I think the police officer have become human garbage collectors,
and to me that is sad, but crime still is a major problem in our
country, and in our world.
I have no desire to be one, and be a human target for
the bad guys.
Below has information from a Police site that likes
the Chevrolet Impala Police Cars
Peace Out `Space
[:-]
[align=center][/align]
[/ul]

Chevrolet Impala Police Cruiser
GM Chevrolet[/align]

Category:
Patrol Vehicles & Equipment

Subcategory:
Patrol Vehicles

Price:

Average Rating:

[/ul][/align]

Description:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Police Cruiser 3800 Series II V6 Engine/performance package Front wheel drive 0-80 in 8 seconds[/align]
Police Member Reviews

[/align]
[/align][/align]

deadmansixx, on Monday, September 24, 2007.

[/ul][/align]
This car is very agile in town and takes curves very well. It is kind of small but i am 6' and weigh in at 280lbs so for me its a little tight. Overall I have no complains about its performance and the gas mileage is good,about 20 in town and 25 on the highway. I am about to upgrade to the 2007 Impala which is a little more roomier and a lot faster! Our town is only about 3000 population but I can get to any residence anywhere in town under 2 min. And no-one has escaped in a pursuit as of this date. Thank You GM/Chevrolet.

For more infor

click on the below

[:-]

Chevrolet Impala Police Cruiser - PoliceLink
2005 Chevrolet Impala Police Cruiser 3800 Series II V6 ..... Good reliable car, we would run them for 24 hours straight for 2 to 3 weeks and they would be ...
www.policelink.com/products/products/946-chevrol... - 85k - Similar pages [/ul][/align]

Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Default RE: Bad news from Police for 2004 & newer Chevys (MC's & Impalas)

Yea, I'm not here to bash the cops. Some of my friends and family are cops. Here in the St. Louis area, most of the departments require 2 years of college for their officers. Some of the newer officers have 4-year degrees. The officer I was riding with has been a cop for 2 years and makes $41,000/ year. His best friend works for a different department and is making $50,000 after 2 years. The friend just got hired at another department and will be making almost $70,000 once he's been with the new dept for 5 years.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM

the thing about the police cars is that Chevy made the Impalas with stock motors, but heavy duty suspensions, transmissions, fluid lines, brakes, ect. Just because a police car has a lot wrong with it doesn't mean that a civilian will. Most of us don't run our cars at 100 mph + and then slam on the brakes or make hard turns and what not. The Impala doesn't make a good police car because it is smaller and fwd. Follow this link and read up on police packaged vehicles. I like the 9C1 and 9C3 packaged Impalas but wish they were Caprices. http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-12316274,00.html

Old 08-18-2008, 04:01 PM

I know I'll get blasted for this and forgive me in advance, BUT - the Crown Vic is one of the most reliable cars ever made. 80 million geezers can't be wrong! Of course, most of them are never driven over 45 mph, the left turn signal stays on, they are only driven to church on sunday and bingo on saturday night, and the oil gets changed every 6 months (which comes before they reach 3000 miles).

Seriously, the Crown Vic is a very good, solid, and reliable car.

Quick Reply: Bad news from Police for 2004 & newer Chevys (MC's & Impalas