Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Anybody use slotted or drilled brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Why dont you look into cryo treated rotors.There are several brands available which are cryo treated. It is a treatment process which uses hydrogen to lower the temp of the rotors way below zero and then back to regular temp.This process strengthens the rotors and keeps them from warping and wearing too fast. Ive had mine now for 2 years with aprox 25000 miles on it and they stop smooth as glass! They are a little more expensive but worth the price.You can check them out on tirerack.com......take a look

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM

i bought the cheap stuff from brakomotive on ebay. slotted and drilled. had a little fitment issue with the rear. many people have them and have said that there stuff is good. aside from the fit issue during install theyre great. the cars stopping was vastly improved and after 9-10000 miles theyre still going strong.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM

I thought that the whole point of buying drilled rotors (or slotted, or drilled and slotted) was that they're supposed to dissipate the heat better than standard rotors, and be LESS prone to warping, which is why you see them used on high performance/ high speed cars like the Corvette, Porsche, etc.
They used to be drilled/slotted to help with removing gasses released from the brake pads on race cars, but with modern brakes on a street car this isn't an issue at all.
If anything, they are drilled and slotted for looks nowadays.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i bought the cheap stuff from brakomotive on ebay. slotted and drilled. had a little fitment issue with the rear. many people have them and have said that there stuff is good. aside from the fit issue during install theyre great. the cars stopping was vastly improved and after 9-10000 miles theyre still going strong.
I had the same fitment issues on the rear too. When they are hot and I need to brake HARD like on the highway, I HATE the brakemotive junk!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:31 PM

i dont know what you mean a about when theyre hot. i havent had a problem with braking. my only issue was fitment on install. i wouldnt say theyre junk theyre definitely better than the stock brakes thats for sure, and for the price i will gladly wrestle with them. the car stops far better than it used to, and after all the miles ive put on it theyre still not warped, they dont squeak, and no brake dust. if i were going to spend a butt ton of money on brakes for this car i wouldnt even bother with the ebc **** i would just move up into the gxp brakes. if your going to throw money at it you might as well upgrade.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM

I read a review by GM technicians and they studied the effects of drilled vs slotted rotors. They concluded that drilled rotors are cooler by 150 degrees and that slotted rotors had no noticable effect at all. I cant remember where I read it, but it was less than a month ago. I ordered zinc plated drilled rotors with ceramic brake pads after reading that. Just waiting for spring to get here before I put them on.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I have been looking into getting these are replacements when the time comes. I've read a lot of good reviews about them. I'd personally add a second coat of black paint though before installing them.

Centric Premium Rotors - TireRack

For my car they're $48 each for the fronts, $38 each for the rears. And TireRack is a retailer you can trust.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM

I bought some drilled and slotted rotors off ebay,I have driven them HARD...they have lasted well over 30k. Will be doing pads this summer but the rotors are fine. My buddy bought the same ones for his 05 mustang GT, drives it harder than me and still has no complaints. Drilled and slotted is a great upgrade, i will probably never go back...

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 AM

I get mine from tirerack.com Have never had a problem. I only have slotted rotors because I heard it's possible for drilled rotors to crack. I bought the ATE Premium One slotted rotors. I also have akebono pads. the combination creates some pretty nice stopping power. I don't drive my car too hard & both have been going strong for over a year now while going through two chicago winters.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Yup drilled/slotted rotors front,rear DO make a huge difference in my 00 SS in braking proformance...you'll notice a night and day improvement...any1 disagreeing ..come ride in my car you'll feel with neck snapin back in forth when tapping the brake pedal..

Quick Reply: Anybody use slotted or drilled brake rotors?