Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

any one else with these problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Default any one else with these problems?

My 01 SS has 46k on it, I already had the lower intake manifold gaskets replaces at 40k. They said its from driving short distances.....What, are you kidding me. Also had intermediate shaft changed 5 times, front cradle replaced, steering pump replaced 2 times, serprntine belt changed, both front hubs changed, i'm not even going to get into the brakes needing to be replaced, su roof was brought in twice for major leakage during rain storms....OUCH
And I still Love that SS. I'm lucky I got the extended warrenty on it or I would be in trouble!! My Dealership knows me so well that when I walk in they make me a cup of coffee and take me first.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

-*IMPORTANT* I got a letter from GM stating that this is not a recall but the 3.4L & 3.8L may have a condition where the cadalytic converters are being replaced due toack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is due to insulation from the converter breaking away and blocking the front of the catalytic brick preventing free aie flow of the exhaust gas.
THEY CAN BE REACHED AT 1-800-630-2438 FOR ANY QUESTIONS. If you repalced your converter already ask them to be reimburst

Old 10-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Default RE: any one else with these problems?

well right now i have a 03 with half the miles as yours and i havent had to much for it as far as the mechanical stuff gose.
I have had the steerign shaft done once and now the rotors are being done also.

Other htne that the other thing is the pax seat is fighting me but noting to crazy yet.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 AM

I've got 33k on my 04 LS and to the best of my knowledge, no mechanical problems. I say to the best of my knowledge because I bought it used w/29k on the ticker.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:32 AM

STEERING SHAFT A REAL PROBLEM, IF DEALER EVER REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY YOU
MAKE THEM REPAIR, HAVE HAD MINE DONE 4 TIMES IN 54K MILES.JUST TELL THEM TO CALL FACTORY REP OR EVEN BETTER YOU CALL THEY WILL FIX

Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 AM

fever what dealer did you get yours from?
Also you might try blinding your plate on the web. (personal opion) I bought mine from Ben Adkins motors there in AL.

they will be repairing mine for the first time on Thursday

Old 10-12-2005, 09:07 PM

TERRY THOMPSON IN DAPHNE BEEN VERY TO GOOD TO ME. ADDING NEW PHOTO'S THIS WEEKEND

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/2708ADF3AB5643498FB3EF4179642244.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/3A624768FF104868B1A53DA0DEE356A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2005, 06:15 AM

kool was just wandering what part of AL. you were form. i miss the dealer i had back there in talasse he was great the ones in Pratville were just out right rude.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:46 PM

well got back from the dealer to day
The dash lights were not fixed agian they just crank them all the way up and call it good to go.
The steerign shaft has to be replaced completly as they found out the u joint n there was fulty and was cuttign threw the shaft. soim glad they foudn that and it didnt get worse and come apart .
Would ahve been a real interasting ride,

Also the dash comming apart over the pax side air bag was not touched AGAIN!!!!!

but they have to order the shaft and also the cabel for the pax seat to work the right way.
So we will see what happens with it.

With any luck they will get this all done and i will have some warrenty left . It is 30 miles for me to drive to the closes dealer not to mention the head ack of loseing a car all day long.

Oh get this i aksed a gian about the brake rotors . "your in Germany now and you drive at higher speeds here so your brakes are considerd useabel parts. "NOT COVERD UNDER WARRENTY" But then on the way home i recived a call from the other dealer he has all 4 of them sitting there for me and he is sending them to me asap. So how can one do it and not the other?

Old 10-20-2005, 03:51 AM

WHITESS....yeah get used to GM midsize cars liek the monte going through hub assemblies..crappy design right from the start. As far as that steering shaft, are you 100 percent sure they are replacing it each time. At first they were repacking them with grease. Later they started replacing the whole assembley due to the grease not lasting as long as its designed and the car coming back frequently. I know including me about 4 others with 00-05 MC's with very few problems, i think there not replacing that shaft and just telling you they are. They should not being going bad that fast, of they do the only thinkg I can assume is someones beating the ever living crap outta this car..and why was the cradle and power steering pump replaced twice. and rotors will warp when driven HARD, sometimes you need to realize its a monte carlo...not an F1 car. Ive cut mine once since ive had it and there way under discard spec and havent warped so far.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:37 AM

belive me the car is not drove hard at all i get acused of being to gental on it for the most part. yes i theya re replacing the shaft this is why they have to order it from the states. but the thing is im not in a area where i can go to the dealer very easily it is like 40 miles one way and that is a long walk LOL

I have taken my monte up over 100MPH and frequently drive it at around 90 -95 on the auto bond. So yeah to a point i drive it hard in that sens but it has never given me a issue other then the warped rotors but in part that is due to being in germany and haveing to ride your brakes threw the vilages here. to give a exampel take a one lane road in the states and park down both sides of it then try shoving your monte carlo down the middel with another car comming at you. this is a dailly event several times a day not just once in awhile. Tehy defently could use some better street lay outs. Also i hear yall talk about pot holes and gigel you dont even have a clue what those are LOL here they have creates that have been here for years and still nothing has been done to them . I also drive alot of mountian switch backs in my area they dont belive in a radual corrnere it is a nice sharp hard left or right. and the round abouts are al over the place and im sure to a point all of the cornering is not helping the car they were not made to turn a corrner all day long.

But the shaft i have that is bad now hass been there since the car was new and is just now acting up So i feel to a point im forchanate to have it last this long after hearing some of the others talk abotu replacing two of them in the same miles.

he rotors are warped from hwy. speeds and hittin the brakes at them at hig speed and slowing down for a stau(traffic jam) or from just daily driveing.

But i do belive that the Monte carlos could use some better quality parts aslo they have way to many issues for steering etc..
Im suprised i dont hear more about bad struts in teh front ends of them then i do.

Quick Reply: any one else with these problems?