Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Another small block problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Default Another small block problem.

So I've got the timing figured out for the most part. Now the issue is that the headers get super hot after only 2 or 3 minutes of running. so hot in fact that the heat started to melt one of the a/c lines. so i suspect its partially because the headers arent coated with anything. but is it also a coolant issue? if so i'm not really sure how to remedy it. the radiator is full but i dont think im getting any coolant to the motor.

suggestions?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

do you have a temp guage or the dumby light like me? sounds like your running too rich or your timing is still off

Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

idk, i would get some header wraps from jegs or summit and keep an eye on the temperature guage when the car is running. also, do you still have the factory fan shroud on the car? without a fan shroud the fan cannot direct as much cool air towards the engine, causing overheating issues....

something like this should do the trick

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Prem...02563/10002/-1

Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
do you have a temp guage or the dumby light like me? sounds like your running too rich or your timing is still off
wow, i thought all 4th gens had temp guages. i would pick up one of those too, stat! lol

with an oil pressure guage

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41096...ductId=1152840

or just the temp

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41000...oductId=750805

Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM

how close is your ac line to the header? they should be hot after a min or 2. i would just try an move the line a bit. and i wouldnt wrap them. itll probably hold moisture in and really rot them or warp them from the heat. you could always pull them off and have them coated or buy a header paint for them. personally pulling them off and painting them isnt worth it. ive done it before and they look like crap after awhile and there was no really noticeable difference.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

stock timing is 6* BTDC, it can be bumped to 10*-12* BTDC for a tad of performance, make sure you unhook the 4 prong conector at the base of the dist

Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM

the ac lines are a pretty good distance away about a foot. but directly above. the headers did come with a coating on them but it is really cheap and flakes off on almost anything it touched durring the install. but the headers still get way too hot, i know how hot they usually get after a good cruise in other cars i've driven. these get so hot they start to smoke from burning off what ever dust or debree gets on them. i feel like there is something keeping coolant from getting to the motor. i filled the radiator to the top after install and the level is still the same in the radiator. was i suppose to put coolant in the motor itself??

btw if i didnt already say. this isnt the stock motor its a racing block produced in 72

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Not sure what kind of headers you have, but if they're actual tubular headers- they do get hot super quick (even cast manifolds get hot, but just take a little longer to get warmed through). My monte had only been idling a minute or so, and my buddy touched the header primary and burned his finger- he didn't think they got hot that quick either.

But really, I wouldn't think coolant temperatures would have anything to do with header temperatures. I mean I guess if your car was running at 250* instead of 200*, the cylinder heads and block would be 50* hotter, and chamber temps would go up a bit from that- but that exhaust coming out the port is already well above that, so I wouldn't think it would make a whole lot of difference.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 AM

alright. we'll put this thread on hold for a couple days till i can make a video of the problem. because i'm sure something is wrong. i'm just not doing a good job describing how hot its getting.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Sounds like to me your running to lean, running to lean causes temp. to go up quickly on the headers, running to rich will cool the combustion chamber to run cooler temps. fyi!

Quick Reply: Another small block problem.