Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Amp/Sub with stock headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 AM

We have lineout converters at Best Buy for $15 or if you want the one with the remote turn on built in its $50.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:11 AM
1 Year Member

Are they pretty decent? was thinking about going to wally world and getting that with 4 gauge wire. or the audio place here on base. not looking to break my wallet but at the same time not looking to make my car look like one of those (you know what im talking about)

Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
1 Year Member

So i cleaned out my trunk yesterday and threw the box back there. wish it was a half inch smaller that way it would fit snug inside the frame of the car but oh well, started taking of the side mat and figuring out where to route these cables. so far going to tie them in with the onstar wires that way they stay nice and hidden. also got me thinking about making the panel and cap where the spare tire is, better looking. right now the black screw cap and thin board isnt really appealing. i'm sure i can find some spare aircraft parts somewhere around here that'l work...

Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 PM
1 Year Member

Already started the project. It's safe to say that the Monte almost won and all I've done is route the power cable. been taking pics and will be posting soon.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 PM

I for one bypassed and rewired but that was just becuse i wanted A new stereo. before i did all that work i did use the car wire to the speakers however If you have A stock amp you may need to bypass it and there is A wire going in and from the stock amp that serves as the remote on. If you have A stock amp I will be happy to help you out to bypass and find your remote on.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:42 PM

I've heard that bypassing the factory amp is better than actually having the stock amp...any truth to this?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 AM

Yes Its True The Factory amp is a very low powered amp if you were to buy A stereo thats lets say 45watts x 4 that is common now days and If it ran through the amp you would be loosing more then half the watts I was told by A dealer that is a good friend of mine That the factory amp depends on model will run from 17 to 25 watts per channel. This is why the factory amp does not go to the battery for its power it does not draw anough watts. Its basic use is to help clear out the sound for the stock stereo.

Last edited by jsmith3324; 10-31-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

What a ridiculous idea. Haha.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM

i have a sub system with the stock radio in my 06 monte.. i picked up a product not to sure off hand whats it called. but i spliced n a few wires. the product is made by rockford fosgate. just need to splice a few wires. and just plug in the pre amp outputs into the little box.. and your set.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 AM

Rockford Fosgate® - IECGLI

this is what i used. worked perfect. im going to take out my headunit tomarro for a upgrade pioneer avh p 3300bt, with a self made brake bypass relay.

Quick Reply: Amp/Sub with stock headunit