Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Amp/Sub with stock headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM
1 Year Member
Default Amp/Sub with stock headunit

I've seen a few posts touching on the subject but not really a how to. I honestly don't know a lot about subs and amps and electronics of the like. I just picked up a 12" infinity sub and amp with no wires/cables and hoping to hook them up to my factory head unit in my 7th gen Monte. I've heard it possible and I'd have to buy some cables from walmart and some box thing. any clue whats up? any one done this?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've got my Alpine sub and amp wired through my factory system. I didn't make any connections directly into the head unit though. I chose to connect into the right and left rear deck speaker with the speaker level input harness Alpine supplies with the amplifier, since my amp is mounted right below them. Can also connect the speaker input leads to the speaker output leads on head unit's without preamp outputs. The other option is to connect the RCA input jacks to the line out leads on the head unit. To be honest, I'm not sure the factory head unit has the correct line out leads to accept RCA input jacks. Anyone else know that for sure?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 AM
1 Year Member

how does that work out for you mistress? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about haha. I'm good with schematics and pictures though. do you have any?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM

You basically need a lineout converter to convert the signal off your rear speakers into a signal that the RCA's can use and connect to your amplifier. It's a piece of cake. Then you run a small blue wire (remote) to a power supply that turns on when the radio does - a fuse (some will say not to do this but I always have) or to find a hot wire that is on when the radio is. Then run the positive cable to your battery and the negative cable to a ground location - strut tower, etc.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
1 Year Member

do you think the onstar fuse would work? dont use the thing anyway

Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member

It works great. I don't have any drawings or anything like that. Did exactly the same thing NovaSS396 said. Ran my remote wire and power cable behind and below the rear seat, under the passenger door sill plate. From there, I connected the remote wire in with a power supply in the fuse box that's on the floor behind the sill plate. I checked with a tester to find and went with a power supply that comes on when the ignition is turned to "ON" (radio on). Not sure about the OnStar. Took my power cable to the positive terminal on the engine compartment fuse box (or battery) and the ground to one of the rear strut tower bolts. Did the EXACT same setup when the sub was in my 03 SS.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm finding this quite useful, maybe someone should do a complete step by step one day and it should get stickied. When funds allow i'm going to add a sub and amp into my stock system. Line out converter off rear speakers, and power to the amp. Simple enough really.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM

I just took my setup out of my Monte and put it in a Grand Prix. It's almost identical with the exception of a possible lack of a 60/40 folding seat and the sill panels are screwed down instead. If you need a full writeup check out some of the GP forums.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I can potentially do one sometime for my brother's car. it'll be the same thing really tho.

please don't power an amp off a fuse for onstar or anything else, just run the wire to the battery:

How To Run Sub Wires in 00-05 Monte Carlo-red04montels - YouTube

Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
please don't power an amp off a fuse for onstar or anything else, just run the wire to the battery
Right, we were saying to run the remote wire to the fuse box and the power cable to the battery.

Quick Reply: Amp/Sub with stock headunit