Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Almost overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Almost overheating.

I have a question I would like some opinions on. I have a 2005 Tony Stewart edition Supercharger. I have had issues for about a year and a half with this car wanting to overheat. It actually overheated about a year and a half ago and had to replace the elbow coolant pipes. I had to take out the thermostat earlier this year because it wouldn't stop going all the way to the red. Now it's running fine, except after about an hour if I'm at a red light. The gauge will start rising and go to the white notch before the red.

It also has coolant on the hose and on top of the motor mount, and top of the fans. I'm not noticing a leak anywhere. I have checked multiple times and haven't seen anything. It's not on the side of the waterpump, it's always on the drivers side. I replaced the hoses about 4 months ago. Like I said this is an incident that only happens in a specific situation. It has antifreeze and water and I have kept am eye on it. The car does have 202,000 miles and the radiator has never been replaced that I am aware of. Could it just need to be flushed, or should I replace the radiator?

Also, I have take the blower motor fuse out to turn the ac on. It will not turn off even with the car off. I don't know if that has any effect or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Question

I had some overheating issues with 3800 and 3400 engines, and in both instances it was the intake manifold gaskets. They were leaking just a bit, but I couldn't even get thru a fast food drive thru with out the Fans kicking in and the Temp going to Red line.
Something to check on.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM

No thermostat will contribute to overheating.
Without a minimum of flow restriction, coolant passes through the radiator too quickly to have the radiator dissipate heat. The coolant rushes through the system being heated rather than being cooled at all.
You should run at least a 180-degree stat -- or -- remove the stats regulating spring and valve and have a "Flow-restricting Blanking-sleve" to slow-down the flow of coolant through the radiator for a modicum of cooling.

At +200K miles you should be on your 2nd or 3rd H2O Pump.

Run a 60/40 mixture to allow for less chance of boiling the coolant.

Lastly, you might not actually be getting hot.
The Cluster's gauge Stepper Motors might be you problem.

GM Cluster Repair Phone Us @ 270-993-9533 - Home

Old 11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the responses. I found the leak, it's right at the top of the radiator where the radiator hose connects to the radiator. It must be extremely small, it only comes out when I rev the engine for a few minutes or start driving. I know the radiator needs to be replaced. I don't have the money right now and am in the search of a job. I need it to go to interviews. Any suggestions that can seal it temporarily and keep the radiator from busting wide open?

Old 11-20-2016, 11:26 PM

Try adjusting the hose and clamp. Maybe some RTV might hold it for awhile as it is a sealant

Old 11-20-2016, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member

My uncle adjusted the clamp as far down as he could to stop it. My friend has some sealant he is going to give me. I don't like using that stuff, but am going to in this situation.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 AM

I did this once on my 02 GP and the radiator crumbled away... I replaced the radiator with a 1" one and all was fine. Best of luck

Old 11-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Check the Specific Gravity of your Coolant Mixture.

Some things to consider:
• Radiator Hose might be breaking down.
• If you have "Speed Clamps" instead of Worm-drive Hose Clamp ... replace them with Worm-drive Clamps you can tighten with a Nut-driver, Socket or Screw Driver.

• Get a Bottle of -- Bar's Leak 1186 Liquid Aluminum Stop Leak

Bar's Leak is a short-term fix if the Radiator starting to corrode. But it seals Pinhole.

You might be on-the-edge of needing a Water Pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-11.../dp/B002696FA2