Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP +

Old 01-12-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP +

[align=center][:-]What do U think ?[/align][align=center]Aftermarket Airflow Sensors [/align][align=center]Make20 HP in 30 minutes [/align][/align][align=center]

by Leonard Emanuelson
The laws of physics concerning engine performance are constant—stuff more air and fuel into the engine and draw more exhaust out and you'll increase power. Years ago, hot rodders would simply install a larger carburetor and a set of exhaust headers for a nice gain in performance. With electronic fuel injection, you can now cram more air into an engine by replacing the restrictive OE mass-airflow sensor with a high-airflow aftermarket model. The benefits are 20 or more extra horsepower and much quicker throttle response. Best of all, it takes only a few hand tools and about 30 minutes to make the change.
Bolt-In Power

The aftermarket mass-airflow sensor shown here was installed on a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. It has the potential to flow a whopping 47-percent more air. It does this by eliminating the OE honeycomb grate at the entrance of the sensor body, and by eliminating the large dividing vane that cuts the opening in half. More subtle changes include a smoother, more aerodynamic entry and exit. Another key feature of the aftermarket mass-airflow sensor is that it has been injection-molded out of a polymer that rejects heat better than the OE metal sensor. This allows the engine to respond more accurately to incoming air temperature as opposed to ambient underhood temperature. The manufacturer of this replacement mass-air sensor also claims that the electronic portion also provides more precise information to the ECU, and provides it quicker for better fuel and spark control.
EZ Install

Installation is a lot easier and cleaner than swapping a carburetor. First, disconnect the battery. This is always a good idea for safety reasons, and is essential when changing part of the fuel-injection electronics because it blanks the memory in the ECU. This allows the computer to relearn the parameters for your driving style and the new device you've installed. Next, remove the OE mass-airflow sensor by loosening the two clamps that attach it to the intake track. Remove the electrical connector plug and reinstall the new sensor by reversing these steps. Reconnect the battery. After approximately an hour of driving, the computer will have reset itself and you should experience the full effect of the new sensor.
[/align]To realize the most gain from this modification, you should install a low-restriction air cleaner to take advantage of the increased flow capacity. This newfound power doesn't come cheap. Expect to fork out about $350 for an aftermarket mass-airflow sensor. However, if you get the same results we did, you'll consider it money well spent.

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wish U a Happy,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[/align]

Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Default RE: AfterMarket Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP

actually yes in theroy it should work. the engin is nothing more then a air pump. the more it can suck the more it can push . so if you can get somethign to help open up the intake and make your flow better it is doing just that ont eh intake side.
the tailpipe side might be the biggest restriction after a point. But as a relitively stock cars gose you have a ways to go to out preform the stock pipes. but I would however look in to the after market down pipe to help this out.

but if you read on several forms you can read about guys opeing them up by polishing everything and nip and tucking here and there on the mass air flow sensors and also the one thig i can tell you from experince MAKE SURE YOU DONT DAMAGE THE WIRES IN THERE!!!
makes a car a big paper weight real fast lol
one of the guys here has it on his cardomain site on how to polish the m.a.f .sensor.
one of these days i will remeber his name , i can see his car that is the worse part it is a black 5th gen. ERGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
anywya . do a serch on it you can find tons of info on this.
also look on camaro sites they record gains of up to 20-30 hp from this and other small mods.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 AM

[align=center][:-]Click below link for Auto Shop 101 [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My brains on overload, but the above site did[/align][align=center]explain a lot about how it works.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It helped me (I have a lot 2 learn).[/align][align=center]Hope it helps someone.[/align][align=center]Peace Out[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Has any member done this ? If so, was it worth it ?[/align][align=center]What type did you get ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][sm=feedback.gif][/align][align=center]Thanks[/align]

Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 PM

I've nerver done this but I am interested!!! How do I know which AfterMarket Airflow is best for my 2000 Monte Carlo SS.

By the way... I am new at this. Not only at the Forum thing, but also at working on my MC2K.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Hi Paco,
I'm hoping that a member has already done this and post their
information and review & results.
Post some pic's of your Monte SS
How's life in the O-Town ?
I've been searching the web & will post infor when found.
Wish U a `Happy
`Space

Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Default RE: Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP +

Why pay 350 for a aftermarket MAF sensor. Cant you just take out the stock one and remove the grate and large dividing vein and polish it?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

Why pay 350 for a aftermarket MAF sensor. Cant you just take out the stock one and remove the grate and large dividing vein and polish it?
yes to a point , you can take out the screen in there. it will not do a whole lot but every bit helps.
also to polish it there is more then just pulling it apart and goigng at it. if you take to much you can actually hurt it. ,

this is why i said make sure you read a articl on it and also look in the carmaro and vet fourms you will find how to's etc...

I would highly recomend to anyone that wants to do this go get one from a bone yard and polish it then you dont ruin the one you have now.

but yes it is still cheaper then 350.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 AM

[align=center]Has any member done this modificationto their Monte Carlo ?[/align][align=center]If so, what engine ?[/align][align=center]If so, was it worth it 2 U ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Has anyone with a 3.9installed this device[/align][align=center]or removed their screen?[/align][align=center]Please post, if U have...[/align][align=center]Thanks,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 PM

i have taken the screen out on mine,
been tis way for 2 years now. gian? yeah no much if any but it did idel better and also run smother at lower RPM's
it is a 03 SS with the 3.8 liter in it.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:29 PM

I put a granatelli maf sensor on my 01 3/4 ton suburban and I could notice a difference right away. Their website is www.granatellimotorsports.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP +