Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Air Controlls

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Default Air Controlls

I have just been disregarding this problem but its been hot lately and its time to fix it. My air does not blow out the vents like its supposed to. The fan speeds up and down as you turn the fan speed switch but it almost like the air flow is being blocked or blown at all the vents such as defroster and floor vents. Im leaning towards it being my air control panel ? any suggestions?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Default RE: Air Controlls

sounds like a vacuum leak, it can be hard to test w/o a vacuum pump and diagram of how the ciruits to the door actuators work.

but the most likely problem i've found is no source vacuum to the control panel. the way you can test this is to removethe hvac control panel, and pull off all the vacuum hoses on the back side. then start your car and just let it idle, go through and hold your finger over each of the holes. one of the hoses must have vacuum, the source vacuum hose is most often black.

if none have vacuum thats your problem, i would start to try to trace it by finding a vacuum line that goes through the firewall. then follow it, checking for damage along the way back to the manifold, and make sure everything is hooked up.

if you do have source vacuum at the control panel things are more complicated, it could be the control panel, or any of the door actuators or the lines from the panel to the actuators. if you dont have a diagram of the system and no vacuum pump, you might just try listening for a vacuum leak.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:36 PM

Dang whats up with the door actuators being involved? and its an 2002 ss so it would have vacum lines going to the controll panel (inside underneath the radio) Im know a little bit about this car but not all so Im just a little confused.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:07 AM

well there could be one or 2 actuators that need to work right in order to divert air out the vents, if the actuator(s) or lines to them have a leak they wont work. but it could still be a control panel as u suspect, or my guess would be vacuum supply problem.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Ok today I took my dash all apart. Found out that none of the lines to the control panel have a constant suction which I think it should? I noticed a purple line that kind of does a pigtail and was guessing maybe thats supposed to be the supply liine? Where do I go from here by the way thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:46 PM

well i looked it up and the purple line is your vacuum supply line as you suspected. not quite sure what you mean by the pigtail thing, if its twisted up, pinched or bent over, anything to block air flow, that would stop it from working also.. anyways, i'd start by checking for any disconnected vacuum lines/vacuum ports around the intake manifold. if thats all ok i would try to trace as much of that purple line from the control panel to the firewall as posible. it wouldnt surprise me if at some connection in the dash the hose switches from purple to black, but it wouldnt neccisarily. next step would be to find where the vacuum line goes through the firewall from under the hood and then trace it back to the engine.

somewhere between the engine/intake and your control panel theres a disconnected, pinched, cut, or somehow blocked or damaged line.

you did have the engine idling when you checked for vacuum correct?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM

You guys are Gods amoung men. After taking my dash all apart trying to trace it I did some looking under the hood and found a line that must have gotten broke when I changed my battery. I fixed it back togetheir and the cold air is blow full force. Do you know if that line is also the one that runs to the transmission just curious because its been slipping a little dont know if that would cause it. Thanks for all the help manyall are some life savers.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 PM

glad to hear its fixed, august sucks without some cold AC in your face. unfortuenately, this shouldnt have anything to do with your transission problems at all.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by joesumrall
You guys are Gods amoung men. After taking my dash all apart trying to trace it I did some looking under the hood and found a line that must have gotten broke when I changed my battery. I fixed it back togetheir and the cold air is blow full force. Do you know if that line is also the one that runs to the transmission just curious because its been slipping a little dont know if that would cause it. Thanks for all the help manyall are some life savers.
Where exactly was the broken line at that you had to fix?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Yes, where exactly is it?? I have had this SAME EXACT PROBLEM for about 3 years now and like you said, doesnt really bother me until its SUPER HOT (as it is now in the ATL) or windows are frosted and cant defrost them quickly. My air blows cold but out of every single vent, its kinda annoying.

Quick Reply: Air Controlls