Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ac making clicking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ac making clicking noise.

When i turn my ac on it started making this clicking noise. If i rev the engine it clicks faster and faster the harder i rev the engine. When i turn the ac off it stops. I rev the engine and nothing. The air still blows cold. I just put this compressor on the car when i bought it and just charged the ac on 8/26/2013. I even put ac oil in it and cycled it. Could it be that i bought a bad compressor or did i not put enough oil in it.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Denarius23
When i turn my ac on it started making this clicking noise. If i rev the engine it clicks faster and faster the harder i rev the engine. When i turn the ac off it stops. I rev the engine and nothing. The air still blows cold. I just put this compressor on the car when i bought it and just charged the ac on 8/26/2013. I even put ac oil in it and cycled it. Could it be that i bought a bad compressor or did i not put enough oil in it.
Its usually a sign that its low on Freon.... That's probably the compressor clicking on and off...

My system takes 2 pounds... However, with the addition of oil it only took 1.86 pounds of Freon... yet mine cycles normally and its almost as cold as it was when it was new....

I just redid mine this past Saturday... as it turns out it had a faulty Schrader valve... Now its working Great!

Did you refill the system yourself? Or did you have it done professionally?
Was the system evacuated properly? (get all the air out of the system)
If theres residual air in the system...That also causes the compressor to "click" (turn on and off intermittenly) eradically.
Did you leak test the system? You could have a slow leak also...
They inject a die in the system... then scans the system with ultra violet light to detect the leak (s)

Hope this helps!
Maybe someone else will chime in with more suggestions.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 08-27-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: addition