Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ac help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ac help needed

does anyone know where the ac clutch cycle switch would be located on my 03? under the hood? in the dash? left side, right side? i have not had working ac in the past cpl of years and we cant figure out why and hillbilly mentioned this switch but i cant seem to locate it if my car even has it. everything is new and it has freon.(at least we are almost 95% sure its full? how many cans does it take if its been emptied?) the mechanics were able to manually turn on my ac and it blew out cold, but the car wouldn't do it on its own so 2 different mechanics said there is something wrong with my computer (but didn't specify which computer). i replaced the ac/heater controls thinking maybe that was it but it still doesn't work. Now i also want to thro out there that i had fan issues a cpl years ago as well. we thought it was the relays but i replaced them and they still wouldn't turn on when they should have. it was intermittent and was over heating my engine at times. we chose to hot wire the fans to a toggle switch so i could at least not have my engine over heating but im wondering if the ac and cooling fans issue have anything in common?? i cant remember what was giving me problems first. i think it may have been the ac. ill have to look back at my records and see if i have anything written down to help me figure it out. also, does anyone think that my cooling fans being hot wired would be the cause of the ac not working now? because maybe it was my ac/heater control unit but since the fans are still hot wired i wouldn't know if it would work?
sry if this confuses anyone lol. ANY help would be great. id love to have my ac back.....

Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM

no one??? theres not 1 person who can answer even 1 of my questions for me?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
no one??? theres not 1 person who can answer even 1 of my questions for me?
YGPM

Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does your temp gauge on your dashboard read correctly?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM

yes it does.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM

firstly....is there ANY connection between my cooling fans for my engine and my ac? because if there isnt then i dont even want to worry about that and just focus on the ac right now. i just figured if there was (other than the obvious that if the engine temps are too high the ac wont work) like maybe somewhere in the system the 2 were connected somewhere, i would fill you all in on then not working properly either. secondly i thought maybe i had a bad relay or a clog...but if there was a bad wire, or relay or clog even....wouldnt the mechanics scanner control NOT be able to turn it on as well? because the connection would be broke to begin with? im going to ask my hubby to double check the relays and see if there is a clog because i never thought of that, and maybe both mechancis didnt either they said to replace the ac heater control module so i did...and everything is still the same. my blower motor resistor needs replaced because i dont have fans until i put it on speed 3...would this cause the ac to not work? my heat has always worked excellent just for the records.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's tough. They are complicated systems.

The AC will not turn on if the system does not hit a certain pressure, so since you aren't 100% sure it is full, I would get it hooked up and properly pressure tested. You need to vacuum out all air and fill with freon (something the cans don't do). Because the freon also has an oil in it that lubricates the system, it doesn't allow the compressor to turn on without being full.

The AC can control the fans, when the AC is on, it over rides the temp setting and forces the fans to blow. If the AC isn't on, the fans are set to turn on at 212*F and 222* (I believe)

They were able to turn it on, because you can connect to the OBD2 port, and just click turn on fans. I can do it with my HPTuners.

One of the things I was suspecting, was your temp sensor, because if the car doesn't know how hot the engine is, then it won't allow the AC to turn on.

Actually, if the outside temp sensor also doesn't work, it won't allow the AC to turn on, because there is a setting in the PCM where if the temperature outside is under 40*F, then the AC isn't allowed to turn on either. So does that temp sensor also work?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you checked the fuses underhood?

Upper Fuse Panel:
A/C - HVAC Compressor

Lower Fuse Panel:
A/C CMPR - AC Compressor
A/C Relay - HVAC Control Relay

Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It's tough. They are complicated systems.

The AC will not turn on if the system does not hit a certain pressure, so since you aren't 100% sure it is full, I would get it hooked up and properly pressure tested. You need to vacuum out all air and fill with freon (something the cans don't do). Because the freon also has an oil in it that lubricates the system, it doesn't allow the compressor to turn on without being full.

The AC can control the fans, when the AC is on, it over rides the temp setting and forces the fans to blow. If the AC isn't on, the fans are set to turn on at 212*F and 222* (I believe)

They were able to turn it on, because you can connect to the OBD2 port, and just click turn on fans. I can do it with my HPTuners.

One of the things I was suspecting, was your temp sensor, because if the car doesn't know how hot the engine is, then it won't allow the AC to turn on.

Actually, if the outside temp sensor also doesn't work, it won't allow the AC to turn on, because there is a setting in the PCM where if the temperature outside is under 40*F, then the AC isn't allowed to turn on either. So does that temp sensor also work?
before we put the new engine in my system was full of freon. ac started to intermittently work until one day it stopped completely and hasn't since and nothing ive done has made it work yet even a whole new engine, new control module and 2 mechanics later. its the condenser/compressor that they can manually turn on thru the pcm, not my cooling fans. it works when its manual controlled thru that. (this however was BEFORE the new engine was put in, which is why i asked how much freon was to be in the system because maybe it was low now? or maybe because we still have my cooling fans hot wired???)
my temp sensor is fine, i just had her at the mechanics last week and he said everything is running up to par and perfect (for once lol) if i had an outside temp sensor...where would that be? i didnt think i had one of those....shes only an LS so i dont have the extra package that lets me know what the temp is outside, inside the car. i never thought about the system being clogged where it drips out and one of the signs of being clogged (other than the obvious no drips outside the car lol) was the ac fogs the windows up when on defrosters. this DID happen to me when it was still working after i had the new compressor and condensor put in. i sent a pic to my mechanci and all he said was ..."it must be cold in your car!" so if thats not a normal thing, then he has never encountered it before so didnt know why it was doing that...nor did i. we got stuck cutting grass monday night while we didnt have any rain, then last night i had to work so he still hasnt gotten the chance to check for a clog yet. if we dont go to the farm show tonight then i will have him do it tonight. all fuses were checked and all are good.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM

ok so the hubby found a "hole" on the bottom of the compressor that feels like something should be in it..a bolt...a sensor..u need your whole finger tip to cover the hole. its losing all pressure out that hole. its near the back of it slightly under but towards the front of the engine.......am i missing something???

Quick Reply: ac help needed