Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS light with traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ABS light with traction control

I am now faced with yet another issue in my car that I bought 3 months ago. It is a 2005 Monte LT with 24k miles. Lately, my ABS and Traction light have been coming on randomly. In the last day or so, it has been steadily on and no matter what I do, it does not seem to go out.
Additionally, my compass (on overhead disply), and my instant MPG is now displaying as --E--. Is there anything I can check myself? I have looked around and it seems as though this is a common issue. Where is the ABS sensor located, as well as anything else I can check? I recently installed a K&N CAI system in it. I noticed a ground screw that screws into the bottom of the air cleaner housing. Is this an intricate part of the problem? In fairness, the light did not start coming on until about a month after I installed the system. I am not sure if it is coincidental or not.

Any ideas?

Any help is greatly apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

-Pete

Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Usually those lights point to a speed sensor in one of the wheel hubs. Best thing to do is to try and find someone with a scanner that can read ABS codes, that should point you to which wheel is causing the problem. One thing you could do though is check all the little connectors at each wheel to see if any of them are dirty, sometimes that causes a code to be thrown.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:14 PM

I had the same problem with my 05 SS. It does usually involve the speed sensor... Ur prolly gonna end up replacing some wheel hub bearing assembly's or do some fancy splicing. I had some exposed and frayed wires that created a short and created that problem. Head to a shop that offers a free courtesy check like Midas, and have them take a look at it.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Default abs issues

I have a 2001 that had the abs/traction control light on all the time. I tried cleaning the abs connection at the hub with no luck. Then I used an ohm meter to check the harness from the wheel connection to about two feet up the harness and found that it was faulty. Cost me 35 for the harness including shipping from RockAuto and was an very easy fix. I have seen too many posts where people have replaced hubs without the problem being fixed.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jim1405
I have a 2001 that had the abs/traction control light on all the time. I tried cleaning the abs connection at the hub with no luck. Then I used an ohm meter to check the harness from the wheel connection to about two feet up the harness and found that it was faulty. Cost me 35 for the harness including shipping from RockAuto and was an very easy fix. I have seen too many posts where people have replaced hubs without the problem being fixed.
Very helpful post here, thanks for posting your experience with this. Very common problem in our cars, unfortunately, so it's nice to hear from others who didn't just buy a new hub and pray the problem gets fixed

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Default abs more info

I should have also added that I did have the abs codes pulled by Advance Auto (they did it for free). Those codes all pointed to the right front wheel sensor having problems but if the harness is faulty thats no wonder. GM did issue something awhile back about harnesses on montes/impalas/gran prixs that could make contact with ties rods or other parts of the car and eventually break. They have revised harnesses available but I just went with Dorman brand aftermarket. Hope this helps some people get this fixed with minimal expense.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jim1405
I should have also added that I did have the abs codes pulled by Advance Auto (they did it for free). Those codes all pointed to the right front wheel sensor having problems but if the harness is faulty thats no wonder. GM did issue something awhile back about harnesses on montes/impalas/gran prixs that could make contact with ties rods or other parts of the car and eventually break. They have revised harnesses available but I just went with Dorman brand aftermarket. Hope this helps some people get this fixed with minimal expense.
Absolutely! Thanks again man. I happen to be one who has had this problem, although it hasn't reared it's ugly head in about 2 weeks since I replaced my brakes. Aside from replacing the brakes, I ensured a tight, secure connection on my right front hub sensor plug when I was doing the brake job.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Absolutely! Thanks again man. I happen to be one who has had this problem, although it hasn't reared it's ugly head in about 2 weeks since I replaced my brakes. Aside from replacing the brakes, I ensured a tight, secure connection on my right front hub sensor plug when I was doing the brake job.
I kinda have the same issue, but I have an 06 monte, I'll get back to this thread soon, but my ABS and trac-off light is on. as most of the crew here already knows! but I'd hate to replace the whole wheel bearing if it is just a matter of cleaning and making sure the connector is not dirty??

Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I kinda have the same issue, but I have an 06 monte, I'll get back to this thread soon, but my ABS and trac-off light is on. as most of the crew here already knows! but I'd hate to replace the whole wheel bearing if it is just a matter of cleaning and making sure the connector is not dirty??
I'd definitely check the connections first. It's free!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks again guys for all your help. I will check it out this coming weekend.

-Pete

Quick Reply: ABS light with traction control