Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   99 elecriclal mystery (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/99-elecriclal-mystery-3497/)

burninvernin 02-12-2007 06:59 PM

99 elecriclal mystery

Hi,
I' ve owned a 1999 Montefor 2 years. The headlights, not just theDRL's stay on when ignition is on. Might not be part of the problem, I don't know. A year ago it would not start, no lights, no radio,no clicks, nothing. I turned the key on and off a couple of times and wiggled the shift lever and it started.Since than it has died a couple of times, but restarted right away,so I changed the plugs, wires, and added fuel injector cleaner. It's been fine till today. I was backing out of my driveway and it died. Itried like above to no avail. I checked the battery wires, they were tight and looked fine. I got back in the car tried like above again, samething.I had the key in the on positionthan everything came on andI was able to start it, I shut it off and samething happened. I triedlike above and added flipping the light switch on and offagain and it started. Tried spare key ( in case it was theanti-lock thing), it started both times. tried once with the primary keyand it started. I don't want to keep driving it on faith, so I want to ask someone smarter than me. Any ideas?

Update: It has ran fine since 1-5-07. Today it woud not start the door dinger sounded low on juice, so I fiddled with the battery and it started. Coincedence maybe? Because I tried to start it again and nothing. I put a battery charger on it the door dinger sounds better, butit just clicks when I try to start it. WhenI release the keyto the "on" position all thelights in the cabin flicker
Thanks, Vern [align=right][/align]

InTheIROC 02-12-2007 11:40 PM

RE: 99 elecriclal mystery

ORIGINAL: burninvernin

Update: It has ran fine since 1-5-07. Today it woud not start the door dinger sounded low on juice, so I fiddled with the battery and it started. Coincedence maybe? Because I tried to start it again and nothing. I put a battery charger on it the door dinger sounds better, butit just clicks when I try to start it. WhenI release the keyto the "on" position all thelights in the cabin flicker
Thanks, Vern [align=right][/align]
This part of it sounds like you have a bad battery... I would get the battery tested and replaced if needed as a starting point.

burninvernin 02-13-2007 07:50 AM

Thanks for the response. I did replace the battery and it starts now, but I know that isnot the answer to it's problems

Vern.

InTheIROC 02-13-2007 09:24 PM

I don't think it was the answer to all it's problems, but it's a good place to start.

Any codes? You may have an ignition control module going bad.

z34phoenix 02-14-2007 02:10 AM

the icm wont stop power with key on....

sounds like a bad ignition switch. they have been known to fail. a failing ICM would show misfires your car just isnt starting.and not showing power when you turn the key... would make me suspect the key/lock (ignition switch)

keep us posted

Mrrench 02-14-2007 05:40 AM

I would have the starter tested as well......

burninvernin 02-14-2007 07:55 AM

Thanks for the advise. I'll check the codes today and have the starter tested.

Vern

burninvernin 02-15-2007 05:57 PM

I checked for codes and came up with nothing, probably because I changed the battery. I have not had the starter tested yet. I will let you know when I come up with a solution.

Thanks, Vern

burninvernin 02-17-2007 05:40 PM

Quick question, while I'm waiting for a code. Could the ICM or ignition switch cause the headlights to stay on when the key is in the on position?

enibum 02-18-2007 01:50 PM

Is your car equipped with auto on headlights? It could be that you have something covering the sensor on the dash.