Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

95 Z-34 Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Default 95 Z-34 Brake problems

I originally replaced pads on this car when I first got it. That seemed to work then a few months later while braking I was getting a slight shudder. I checked and the pads were still good so I thought it might be the rotors so I went ahead and replaced both pads and rotors just to be safe. That was 3 months ago. Now when braking I get some shuddering again during braking especially when applying them going down a hill. I was leaning towards it might be a faulty caliper but b4 I rip into the brakes anymore I thought I would ask someone elses opinion. Anybody got any ideas?

I also now have a new problem. Deer ran out in front of me last nite did some damage 2 the hood and bumper. My local pull-a-part junkyard has a 95,96,97. Would the hood fit for any of these years? I am pretty sure they would since the body still doesnt seem 2 change in these cars.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Hi HeavyChevy77 & Welcome to the MCF Family
Did you do your brakes yourself or was it done
by a pro ? Check back to see what our expert tech's
post on what may be causing your brake issue.
Below is a link from Partstrain on a hood
check it `out...Good Luck, when you get time
post some pic's of your Z : )

Zoom

Replacement Hood - Primered
For 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 6 Cyl 3.4L

Availability: In Stock

PART#: 6643 MFR#: 6643
List Price: $676.36

Our Price: $94.08

You Save: $582.28 (86)%

HOOD, PRIMERED -- A high quality, direct fit OE replacement hood.
Finish: Primered

Fits 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 6 Cyl 3.4L
  • 1995: Z34; 6 Cyl 3.4L;

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?PN...ND(universal:0)

Click above for source...Good Luck
Seems like a super/super price on the hood

Last edited by Space; 06-20-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

yup, the hood from a 95, 96, 97, 98 or a 99 ( 5th gen) monte carlo will fit your car. as will the bumpers, trunklid doors... almost everything is compatible. the only real differances in the 5th gen cars are mechanical, and even those are few.

also, a chevy lumina from the same years has the same hood, trunklid, & bumpers, and even some interior panels as the 5th gen MC, but in a 4 door body.

i should say, though, since your car is a Z-34, it would not have the chrome strip at the end of the hood like my LS. if you dont want that chrome strip, you have to find a Z-34 or a lumina hood, otherwise you will have to fill the mounting holes from the chrome strip.

Last edited by skylark65; 06-20-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

About your brakes.

It really does sound like a bad caliper. My suggestion is if your going to change one,then change them both.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 AM

WOW!! Thanks for the quick response. Yes I did them myself. I do all the work myself unless its an engine swap. $30 a piece @ autozone w/core I'll go ahead and swap em both. Just wanted a second opinion. As for the hood I'm gonna try pull-apart-first. I can get one there a bit cheaper and primer it myself but thanks for the link.

I'll get some pics up of the damage. Also will do some after shots when I'm done. Im now kinda glad this happend. GIves me an excuse to have car painted cause the clear coat was peeling on the bumpers.

Last edited by HeavyChevy77; 06-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM

Got 2 pokin around this weekend found out I'm going to have to also replace the passenger side framing, cradle whatever u wanna call it for the headlight. I did pull out some the dents where the hood will shut all the way. So she is now driveable. It's funny when I look @ her now it looks like she is frowning. I'll post some pics 2nite if I can.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

is it your rear that you feel a problem? because i know those rear calipers have a high-failure rate on 5th gens.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As for the brake issuse, this is exactly what I have been going through with my 06 Monte!

I bought mine brand new...at 3K I had the shutter, especially on down hill braking. Took it in, they put new pads, and turned my rotors. Problem seemed to go away, but was back again 6 months later at 15K...So dealer did a goodwill repair brand new brakes and rotors. Problem solved, and after about 30K it came back, and now i'm just dealing with it until I replace my pads and rotors with the drilled and slotted ones.

If you brake hard sometimes, you could have warped your new rotors already. I think that if you tend to drive on the harder side, you should consider a better quality rotor than OEM rotors. Many members here said not to go with drilled ans slotted, but I already have them, so i'm going to try them eventually. But I have used D/S rotors before on my Cavalier, and it solved my rotor warping issues. Maybe try like a slotted only rotor that is good quality. Also, I would use a ceramic pad or OEM organic pads. Do not use Semi-metallic pads, they will chew your rotors up. I have had this happen to my moms Bonneville with Semi-metallic pads. We switched them out to ceramic pads, and the new rotors are flawless.

Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM

The shudder is coming from the front. No rotors in rear its drums. So your thinking Ive warped the rotors? I do use ceramic pads but its the oem rotors. I believe I have lifetime on the rotors from da zone. I need to check into that.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Was thinking 98 Z-34, my bad!!

Reading... I can do it.

Yes though, OEM rotors are very very picky. Heavy braking + water = warped.

Quick Reply: 95 Z-34 Brake problems