Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

90,000 Mile Service Coming. Tranny question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 90,000 Mile Service Coming. Tranny question.

The Monte is coming-up on 90-Thousand. I'm planning on doing some Maintenance. Stuff I can do; I'll take care of myself. I'm going to have to farm-out a couple of jobs.
Plugs:
Even though it took me several DAYS, last time, she's getting new Plugs.
Should be a walk in the park this time. I prepped every fastener that has to get undone with AntiSeize. Plug threads; too.
Air Filters:
Two new filters. Easy.
Cooling System Flush:
Although the Lower Intake Manifolds got done; I don't know if she got a complete flush. So, when the weather gets nice; I'm doing a 100%-er.

Which brings me to the reason for this Post!
Tranny.
Jiffy Lube wants me to have the Monte hooked-up to some new machine they have that will replace 100% of the Tranny Fluid without dropping the pan.
AAMCO has a similar service, but they want me to replace the Transmission Filter, too.

I cannot do this myself.
BUT, <--< (Big but), ... I think I'd like to have the Filter replaced ... and ... while the Pan Cover is off ... put-in a Shift Kit.

My neighbor insists that putting-in a Shift Kit is going to help the Trans go further without a breakdown than it will without it.
I don't know.
You Monte people do know.

Filter and Kit?
Just a Filter and a flush?
Just the Flush?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just drop the pan, and change the filter and throw some Dexron VI in. Replace what came out, don't do a FULL flush hooked up to the system.

The shift kit can help prolong the life of a transmission, I honestly prefer harder shifts so I would go with that too.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rick,

I agree that you should have the tranny serviced, or service it yourself. But stay AWAY from Jiffy Lube, and AAMCO. Both places are into scamming people into all kinds of crap you don't need.

You can cahnge the tranny fluid yourself by dropping the pan, chaning the filter, and filling back up. This will change about 60% of the fluid and give you a new filter. if you do this on a regular basis, you do not need the flushes that tranny shops push. (change it every 30,000-50,000 miles doing the pan drop/ filter change method). And I think you should always change the filter when changing the tranny fluid. Go with Dexron VI when you change, I can almost assure you AAMCO and Jiffy Lube will NOT give you Dexron VI...

The reason your neighbor thinks the shift kit will pro-long tranny life is because it will stiffen your shifts, and avoid slipping, thus improving clutch life. Honestly I don't see it doing THAT much for tranny life.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM

as said previously stay away from jiffylube and aamco. replace the filter and do the tranny flush. The filter can stop solid contaminants but cannot remove liquid contaminants. water is your tranny can be just as damaging as metal shavings. replacing the filter and flushing the fluid takes care of both.