Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

87 Monte Carlo LS Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Default 87 Monte Carlo LS Restoration

Hello all,
My grandpa had a 87 Monte Carlo that he had since it was new. He passed away a few years ago and it has been something that I've wanted to get restored (even knowing the money I put in to it I won't get back since it is only a LS CL model)

The car has been sitting for close to two years and put a new battery in a started right up. However as we are in Indiana and it was subject to the weather the brake line rotted out. I took it to my mechanic to have new brake lines installed and he showed me the frame. The back part of the frame was chipping away and the transmission lines looked pretty rusted as well. You should see the carpet from under the car. He said he wasn't going to put the new brake lines until I took it to my restoration guy to get some numbers. Was wondering if buying a frame would be an easy task or if major rust on a frame can be fixed?

Looking to spend around 15,000 to get it restored. My restoration can't look at it until Friday and was wondering by people who know more about this than I if 15,000 am I way way out of the galaxy?

Thanks for the help

Old 05-16-2016, 05:26 PM

Did you mean that you are willing to put $15,000 in restoration + ?

You can get a nice 4th Generation Monte Carlo for that amount & dedicate it to your Grandfather. How many miles on your Grandfathers Monte ? What is the condition of the rest of the car ? Do you have any pictures to post ?
Below is one example (There's many nice ones out there if you search & do some auto homework)

$10,900

https://www.carsforsale.com/1987-che...r-sale-C106922
Click above link for more

Good Luck

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-16-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Where are you in Indiana? I am near Muncie.
If you know a good welder, frames can be fixed. Floor pans can also be purchased and replaced. If you are willing to put in a lot of the work yourself, you will save SOOO much money.
These cars will probably never be worth what we put into them but that car will have sentimental value because of your Grandfather.
I would say get some estimates and then decide how much work YOU are able and willing to do and go from there.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.